• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some 7870 Overclocking GPU and Memory performance scaling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What temperatures are you experiencing at the 1200mhz/1500mhz level and is it going to need water cooling? I have the Asus 7870 ghz edition, so this thread directly correlates to my situation, also my current psu that is not going to get me anywhere overclocking I was wondering what you recommend?

Will be running

965BE(Maybe a 8150)
Asus Crosshair V 990FX
2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz
Asus 7870 ghz edition
1x SSD
2x WD Caviar black in RAID 0
1x BluRay combo drive
6x 120mm Fans

My watercooling has it's own psu in a seperate place.

Its on the stock cooler, temps are ~ 60c, you don't need water cooling on the GPU.

What PSU do you have?

I don't recommend going for really cheap PSU's as they can blow out and damage your components.

My #1 for you is the SeaSonic M12II 520 @ $80 with the $20 discount http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Or a TX-650w @ $100 http://www.corsair.com/en/power-sup...d-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

They ^^^^^ are good solid PSU's, you can't go wrong with them.

If your going to get an FX-8150, and overclock it, i think you should go for the TX-650 as that chip uses a lot of power.

I am running a Diablotek 600w right now, but it's going to be waysided for my cooling project. I ran some tests last night using CCC which only lets you do 1200/1450 but my card wasn't stable. Which leads me to think that my PSU isn't what it used to be, ah, but it was well worth $30 when I payed for it. It's off to greener pastures where it will be running 2 pumps and 8 fans, I think it will like that more lol. So what program were you using to oc the card, for some reason Asus gpu tweak doesn't like my computer, it's always buggy for me. I'm not trying to do any real oc'n atm until my build is complete. But 60c under it's own cooling is pretty amazing if you ask me especially with an almost 20% increase in performance. Of course we both have the same case, which is a great cooler case(I love my HAF just wish I had room up top for a 480mm rad). Just reiterates my decision to buy this card. I foresee a second one in my future lol.

I am running a Diablotek 600w right now, but it's going to be waysided for my cooling project. I ran some tests last night using CCC which only lets you do 1200/1450 but my card wasn't stable. Which leads me to think that my PSU isn't what it used to be, ah, but it was well worth $30 when I payed for it. It's off to greener pastures where it will be running 2 pumps and 8 fans, I think it will like that more lol. So what program were you using to oc the card, for some reason Asus gpu tweak doesn't like my computer, it's always buggy for me. I'm not trying to do any real oc'n atm until my build is complete. But 60c under it's own cooling is pretty amazing if you ask me especially with an almost 20% increase in performance. Of course we both have the same case, which is a great cooler case(I love my HAF just wish I had room up top for a 480mm rad). Just reiterates my decision to buy this card. I foresee a second one in my future lol.

I use Sapphires TRIXX, have tried MSI AB and Asus GPU Tweak, Both a little buggy. TRIXX is the only thing that works properly for me.

To get it stable @ 1200Mhz are you adding volts to the GPU?

I need to run mine @ 1.27v up from 1.22v to be completely 100% stable.

And you do need a new PSU.

HAF Case, yes. Excellent..... :)

Yeah catalyst doesn't have a voltage option, but im going to try out trixx right now.

Voltage tweak is for advanced customers, not something belong to mainstream. Just to much destruction possible. Surely not something which should be inside a Catalyst. When someone is getting AB, they are aware that they may use a possibly harmful tool when they do stupid things with. But no 08/15 mainstream customer (mainly immature teeny boys who like to turn big wheels) would expect Catalyst to be possibly harmful and thats the issue.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Gigabyte 7870 HD and I'm looking forward to turning it up but first, I have to get a few essentials in order before doing so. I'm currently averaging 60-65fps on battlefield 3.

Setup:

FX-8150 @ stock clock and heatsink(Thermaltake extreme water2.0 coming shortly)
Gigabyte 990FX
16GB Corsair vengence 1600mhz
1TB HDD 7200rpm
CD/DVD-RW BURNER
950w PSU
NZXT Phantom 410 case 3 push/pull cooling fans currently

Voltage tweak is for advanced customers, not something belong to mainstream. Just to much destruction possible. Surely not something which should be inside a Catalyst. When someone is getting AB, they are aware that they may use a possibly harmful tool when they do stupid things with. But no 08/15 mainstream customer (mainly immature teeny boys who like to turn big wheels) would expect Catalyst to be possibly harmful and thats the issue.
maybe for amd... not for nvidia cards though. You can't kill their cards with the way they overclock.

With that kind of limited OC you wont beat those LN2 tuners at HWBOT. ;) Its still a locked OC but prehaps less limited than what we have on Catalyst.

True, but that has nothing to do with this conversation. That is why people use the 7970 more than the 680 for globals...its just easier to overclock/get around the limits.

The thing with AMD is you can adjust the voltage manually to 1.3v on some cards, but they are still limited to their 20% power limit. So these days with the implementation of limits like that, its pretty darn hard to kill your card with voltage.

True, but that has nothing to do with this conversation. That is why people use the 7970 more than the 680 for globals...its just easier to overclock/get around the limits.

The thing with AMD is you can adjust the voltage manually to 1.3v on some cards, but they are still limited to their 20% power limit. So these days with the implementation of limits like that, its pretty darn hard to kill your card with voltage.

Probably a good thing.

These days like CPU overclocking / overvolting doing the same thing to your GPU is almost a given, if not an unsaid requirement.

Just about every game there is has a mass of dedicated chat forums, the word GPU overclocking is a part of the gaming dictionary.

Most manufactures realise if they are not in with the "cool crowd" and allow for some overclocking its probably going to hurt there sales, this is why most have there own branded overclocking tools.

But at the same time they put limits on it all because a lot of people are first timers or amateurs. Gigiabytes overclocking tool, which has just been given a nice face-lift as no overvolting options, at least not for the 7870, while MSI and Sapphire do.

XFX seem to be the exception to that rule, they have never had an overclocking tool and it seems now they are starting lock there GPU's up so no tool will overvolt them.
I think that says more about XFX PCB's and the ability to handle a few extra volts more than anything.

Last edited:
it seems now they are starting lock there GPU's up
If the software doesnt have the power controller chip defined, it cant do it. XFX may just be using cheaper power control chips too (speculation, no idea). The ability to control the software is multi(double) faceted. The controller chip used must be recognized by the software as well as the chip be able to do it in the first place (no clue if there are some that CANT though).

If the software doesnt have the power controller chip defined, it cant do it. XFX may just be using cheaper power control chips too (speculation, no idea). The ability to control the software is multi(double) faceted. The controller chip used must be recognized by the software as well as the chip be able to do it in the first place (no clue if there are some that CANT though).

That makes a lot of sense, thank's

Anyway, i have added AVP and am also starting BF3 Multiplayer reference benches.
I have this on another forum to, i'm getting requests now so its going to keep growing, but i think its useful.

What can i say? its a hobby.

Looking at it i forgot the Semper Fidelis @ 1680 x 1050, i will do those to.

Back