• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free CPU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I was given an Intel ES by "a guy who got it from a guy who knows a guy". I think it's a QX9650 , based on limited research. I can get a 775 mobo pretty cheap , so is it worth building a rig around it? It's not the latest and greatest but it will probably outrun the rig in my signature (currently down with a dead mobo) and free is hard to beat , price-wise. The chip has the following on it:
INTEL CONFIDENTIAL
QJEE ES MALAY
'06 80569XJ087NL
L816A828

Its definitely an upgrade from your 9850. If your trying to spend the least amount of money then hell ya its worth it. You can get a new mobo from newegg for like $50 and not have to spend a penny more to get the system ready if your going to use all the same parts. Just depends on what you want to do as in just strictly gaming and surfing the web or encoding and folding. If all you want to do is game you probably could get away with the qx9650 and have no problems.

I

My mobo is being sent to ASUS (RMA) under warranty , so I'll just build something around the Intel chip and probably pass the Phenom rig to my 12 year old. It was my first build , and it has "pretty lights" , so she has had her eye on it for a while. LOL. For limited gaming and web surfing (and learning about some Intel OCing :) it should be fine.
First thing I'm going to do is plug it into the Dell I'm using right now and make sure it's still a functional chip.
I saw several QX9650 chips on eBay with $200 + prices. Can they really be going for that much!? I realize they were $1000 at one time , but it's old tech now.

I just noticed the available 775 mobos have a serious RAM deficiency. 2 slots? many are DDR 400 ! And what appears to be a 8GB limit? Is that a function of the Socket 775 CPUs or just a limited selection of mobos?

Must be mobo. My 775 has 4 slots and up to DDR2 800, but alas, it does only support up to 8GiB.

yeah, and here in the UK a 2nd hand 2x 2GB DDR2 8500 (1066MHz) set sells for £40 - 60 for "Buy It Now" ebay auctions

can buy a new 3x 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 set for £50 lol

My old Kingston HyperX set is on ebay now - £17 and counting up ;)

My P35 Asus P5K Premium motherboard could also take a max of 4x 2GB sticks of DDR2.
I am sure some newer 775 motherboards could take bigger sticks, but might cost a little much unless lucky

well, have fun fun tinkering whichever way you go :)

My Zotac motherboard is running a 775 cpu (look in sig) and i got DDR3 ram running it in.

I can only urge you to get DDR 3 as DDR 2 will only go up in price.

But im still very interested in what sort of CPU you got a hold of?

get a newer p45 board they support ddr3 1333+ :)

My Zotac motherboard is running a 775 cpu (look in sig) and i got DDR3 ram running it in.

I can only urge you to get DDR 3 as DDR 2 will only go up in price.

But im still very interested in what sort of CPU you got a hold of?

It's a QX9650 Engineering Sample , a prototype chip usually sent to OEMs (Dell , HP , etc.) pre-production to design around. Sometimes features are present and/or unlocked for those purposes that may not be available in the final retail versions. This one has the unlocked multiplier , as opposed to the Q9650. I haven't gotten much further into it yet. It technically belongs to Intel , as CPUs marked Intel Confidential are never sold by Intel , only loaned. There are , however , a bunch of them out in the world. One on eBay now http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-confi...775-/140840124109?pt=CPUs&hash=item20cab9becd

I have a Q9650 @ 3.6GHz in my gaming PC. IMO it is still a good option if you can find a nice used P45 or X48 chipset motherboard.

just looked it up and holy snap you are one lucky star (did you see what i did there?) right now.

here are some motherboards i found

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat....asp?CatId=1533&name=Socket-775-Motherboards&

heres another one if you want to use SLI or Cross fire

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUSTeK-COM...therboards&hash=item336ff653d9#ht_3189wt_1031

if you want, i can go check some local computer shops in tucson and tell you what they got.

and man, that is just amazing. a free quad core proccessor with 12mb of cache and a FSB of 1333 for socket 775. (i happen to like messing with old hardware)

I'll actually be checking around Phoenix this week. :) It should be a fun build. The first task will be to bring my computer back to life while ASUS sorts out my other mobo. My ES was used (rarely) in a home desktop since new so it should be in good shape. I'm looking forward to my first foray into Intel OC!

the p5q pro pretymuch anything that has an x38 or x48 chipset p45 as well for the most part

the g41 board isnt going to have the oc ability
but the p5k and the p5e both seem pretty capable :D

Back