• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max over-clocking for 7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

Curious what the max OC is for the 7970s. So let's start with the brand and specs, which is the XFX Double-D Radeon-HD 7970. Second, my case is the Corsair Carbide 400R, and lastly the case will feature 8-fans. CPU has the H100 which counts as two-fans at the very top.

Stock Specs: Core-Clock 925MHz, Memory-Clock 1375MHz

XFX 7970 - Two fans
14-150-596-Z10

Carbide 400R
11-139-008-TS

3-Stock Corsair Fans and 3-Corsair SP120 High-Performance Fans
35-181-027-TS

Well, looks like that top dude got 1315Mhz and 1730MHz with his setup all on air. His 7970 has the blower type fan setup which I've been told is not as good as the fans.

The results were filtered by stock cooling. Those are also only submissions on 3DMark 11, Extreme preset.

The results were filtered by stock cooling. Those are also only submissions on 3DMark 11, Extreme preset.

I think anymore than that might need its own liquid cooling setup. Those are quite expensive though, $ 120.00 around there.

It's no barometer for GPU overclocking, This guy got 1315Mhz on the same make / model GPU as me, yet i cannot get mine to pass 3DMark 11 at anything over 1260Mhz, that is all it has, but then again i don't know if this guy went into xtreme volts unlock.

It's no barometer for GPU overclocking, This guy got 1315Mhz on the same make / model GPU as me, yet i cannot get mine to pass 3DMark 11 at anything over 1260Mhz, that is all it has, but then again i don't know if this guy went into xtreme volts unlock.

Hmm interesting.. I want definitely get mine into 1GHz zone. On average on 3DMark its been 1.2GHz average over-clocks.

Every card is different. A lot of what u see at hwbot are not 24/7 clocks. That said, I would imagine 1150-1200 core is in the cards. Much over that is gravy.

1100 shoulnt be an issue for 24/7

+1 For ED, 1Ghz and a bit more IMHO is almost a given, you would need to have a pretty bad card for it not to do that.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is 1200MHz, nothing more. It's stretching it a comfortable amount, better performance but not killing it. What about the memory clock?

I run mine 1200 / 1500 @ 1.27v. 24/7. Seems fine and temps are good at that.

I run mine 1200 / 1500 @ 1.27v. 24/7. Seems fine and temps are good at that.

Which card do you have? Is the XFX any better at temps with its dual-fans? As opposed to blower types

This one http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4154#ov

XFX cards are well known for there coolers, i can't say any more than that, i don't know.

My temps after 1 hour of BF3 never get to 60c, usually around 55c, those are good temps, the GPU is safe upto 80c.

The cooler has 3 fans, as you can see, it is a very good cooler. but a little louder than most at the default fan profile. i set my own profile in TRIXX, at that it is silent at idle and temps are 30c. full load its a little noisy but not that loud.

This one http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4154#ov

XFX cards are well known for there coolers, i can't say any more than that, i don't know.

My temps after 1 hour of BF3 never get to 60c, usually around 55c, those are good temps, the GPU is safe upto 80c.

The cooler has 3 fans, as you can see, it is a very good cooler. but a little louder than most at the default fan profile. i set my own profile in TRIXX, at that it is silent at idle and temps are 30c. full load its a little noisy but not that loud.

Oh wow, that's an amazing looking card. Not just looking card, but performing as well. Im sure that's quite a lot better on cooling vs the XFX. I wouldn't have gotten any of those HIS or Sapphire cards with the blower, its been proven side-by-side that blowers aren't as good for cooling, nor as efficient.

The blower is the stock design, made by AMD. And the blower design has a few benefits. First, it exhausts all the air outside of the case. And it can be tweaked to be very high performing, a la the EVGA Classified series or HIS IceQ.

Even those brands have their own aftermarket cooler.

ASUS DirectCuII
MSI Twin Frozr
Gigabyte Windforce
HIS IceQ
Sapphire VaporX
Zotac AMP!

Probably others as well, that's just off the top of my head.

But still, its not as good as the twin-fan setup or 3-fan setup right?

The best way to do this is to Google <insert card here> review. Ignore the FPS figures, a lot of them are on old out of date under-performing drivers.

Knufire listed just about all the ones in existence, i think

As for the Blower design, they don't dump heat into the case, that's a good thing, but if you have good airflow in the case its not a problem, its never been a problem for me as i have a 200mm intake fan pushing cool air around the card forcing warm air out the back, i can actualy feel it with my hand inside the case and at the back of the case around the GPU.

The stock blower is designed by AMD and only designed to cool the GPU at stock settings, like the stock Intel CPU cooler. Saying all blowers are bad is saying that all top-down style coolers are bad. Mostly true, but there are some very notable exceptions.

The stock blower is designed by AMD and only designed to cool the GPU at stock settings, like the stock Intel CPU cooler. Saying all blowers are bad is saying that all top-down style coolers are bad. Mostly true, but there are some very notable exceptions.

Ok, sounds good. I read a review that said the XFX 7970 moves the air out of the card, outside, towards rear, so not into the case. Oh well. I honestly like the reference card look better than other brands, except ones like the Sapphire ones that resemble the reference card. But that's just the look

Back