• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think is the max voltage/safe voltage for 24/7 for a MSI R7850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

an00bis

Registered
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7850-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-OC.html

I've seen people say that it has the same PCB that 7870 has, good, I've seen 7870 come with like 1.2v stock so I guess I could use 1.2v but the problem is that my gpu has the lowest voltage I've ever seen in a 7850... 1.038v to be precise, and at 900mhz/1200mhz (core/mem) while people get their 7850 set at higher volts something like 1.1 at least, saw a 1.15 once.

So, does that mean I can set it too at 1.15 or even 1.2 (games run at 70 degrees C) 24/7 without it dying in a few months? I'd like it to last at least 1-2 years. What would a nice 24/7 voltage be?

And are there differences between brands for the same cards? or do they all have equal overclocking capability and resistance to voltage damage? I'm asking this since I've never seen such differences of voltages between brands. From 1.038 to 1.1xx-almost 1.2 is pretty huge in my opinion, for the same stock clocks I mean

Is your 1.038V reading at load? By which software monitor?

The difference between brands depends on reference or non-reference design. All reference cards are the same, with different stickers and maybe different cooling. Non-reference designs can have different power delivery and PCB layout.

I'd try different voltages based on max temps under load. I'd run an app that logs temps through your normal gaming routine, and pay attention to the max temps they hit after some regular gaming. So long as your temps are reasonable, the card will last. I'd increase the voltage .05, and increase clocks - if its stable and temps are good, I'd call that ok. I'd keep increasing .05 so long as stability and temps are ok. Once temps jump a lot, or clocks don't increase much with another .05V increase, I'd stop.

Is your 1.038V reading at load? By which software monitor?

The difference between brands depends on reference or non-reference design. All reference cards are the same, with different stickers and maybe different cooling. Non-reference designs can have different power delivery and PCB layout.

I'd try different voltages based on max temps under load. I'd run an app that logs temps through your normal gaming routine, and pay attention to the max temps they hit after some regular gaming. So long as your temps are reasonable, the card will last. I'd increase the voltage .05, and increase clocks - if its stable and temps are good, I'd call that ok. I'd keep increasing .05 so long as stability and temps are ok. Once temps jump a lot, or clocks don't increase much with another .05V increase, I'd stop.

1.038 by every monitor I guess, so I think it's the real one. GPU-Z, msi afterburner, TRIXX (only one that works and that I use for OC) and CCC.
it runs furmark (everything "maxed out"), BF3, Witcher 2, Skyrim, GTA IV, Batmand: AC maxed out at 1920x1080 1.038v no artifacts/stuttering/crashes etc. Temps are slightly bellow 60 at 1.038v(900mhz), 60-70 at 1.125v(1.15ghz) and 70-75 at 1.6 (1.2ghz) in demanding games like the ones I mentioned above. Would increasing volts to 1.16-1.2 (at 1.2v I reach 1.25ghz probably more, I could probably reach 1.3ghz I think) from 1.038 be too drastic and damaging to run the card at, 24/7 OC?

Also, is reseating the gpu worth it? I see it has some springs under the screws I don't know how to do it... I've never seen guides for the 7850. Wanna reseat since I've seen people get lower temp than i get at stock speeds... at higher voltages and overclocks. And my card doesn't have a wimpy cooler so 10-20C difference is unacceptable especially at lower volts lol. And I'm not sure if my card is reference... said something about full solid capacitors. I presume they're better. Don't cards fry because their circuits get fried from the current running through them?

Last edited:
I run my 7870 @ 1.27v, was 1.22v stock. my temps are always around 55c but i do have a very different cooler to yours.

I have absolutely no idea if 1.27v is safe for my cards 24/7, and that is how i plan to run it for as long as i have it.

everywhere i look i see the same answers to yours and my question. "as long as your temps are fine, its fine"

Sapphire bundle an overclocking tool (as you know TRIXX) which on the 7870 has a voltage slider that goes all the way upto 1.3v, perhaps somewhat naively i take it from that, it must be safe.

Time will tell i guess, if my card goes 'pop' 6 months down the line.

I run my 7870 @ 1.27v, was 1.22v stock. my temps are always around 55c but i do have a very different cooler to yours.

I have absolutely no idea if 1.27v is safe for my cards 24/7, and that is how i plan to run it for as long as i have it.

everywhere i look i see the same answers to yours and my question. "as long as your temps are fine, its fine"

Sapphire bundle an overclocking tool (as you know TRIXX) which on the 7870 has a voltage slider that goes all the way upto 1.3v, perhaps somewhat naively i take it from that, it must be safe.

Time will tell i guess, if my card goes 'pop' 6 months down the line.
Thanks, guess I should keep it under 1.2 for 24/7. Until I figure out if I can open this card up without my warranty being nullified (to remove the cheap thermal paste they put on the card) I guess I should stay under that, and at around 60-70C.

Back