• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time AMD user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

just a bought a used sapphire toxic edition 6850 for $120.. i just wanna know tips on using an AMD gpu..

1. which driver version should i use
2. what are the ideal temps
3. how far can i overclock this card
4. any more tips?

:D:D thanks for reading my thread guys!

11.xx series are best for amd 6000 cards.
Temps can be found if you search reviews about your card.
Reviews will also tell you how much the reviewers could overclock.
Try to **** it as high as possible!

A new purchase???

Komusta raident: Try looking at www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews or just google it, it will tell you all you need to know about that card you got. But i just had a quick look myself, the numbers looks like this, 1031/1198/1299/ @ 55c promise me you will check this out before you do any OC on that card.

Last edited:
Well, I really don't know, you should check your temps while stressing the gpu, or maybe a short try of furmark. Can't help you with the max save voltages on your card, maybe someone else knows?

I do know BF3 is very demanding on my card, while most games and benches allow my card to clock 950 for the gpu, BF3 is firm and sends the black screen message in some 10 minutes of play.
So that's a good signal to clock a bit lower. The memory set too high could give artefacts like white dots, or simply crash also.
Best is to stresstest and find your max clocks. Then you can try and set voltage higher, if possible on your card.

Check this link if it's your card:
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/20896-sapphire-hd-6850-toxic-edition

the numbers looks like this, 1031/1198/1299/ @ 55c

Those are the numbers I found also with a quick search. Some voltage of 1.280 but beware that your card can do those voltages and stay safe.

Komusta raident: Try looking at www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews or just google it, it will tell you all you need to know about that card you got. But i just had a quick look myself, the numbers looks like this, 1031/1198/1299/ @ 55c promise me you will check this out before you do any OC on that card.:welcome::thup:

kuya, the voltages is quite high for the 960 core clock lol... from 1.174 to 1.280.... it is quite aggressive in my opinion...

Well, I really don't know, you should check your temps while stressing the gpu, or maybe a short try of furmark. Can't help you with the max save voltages on your card, maybe someone else knows?

I do know BF3 is very demanding on my card, while most games and benches allow my card to clock 950 for the gpu, BF3 is firm and sends the black screen message in some 10 minutes of play.
So that's a good signal to clock a bit lower. The memory set too high could give artefacts like white dots, or simply crash also.
Best is to stresstest and find your max clocks. Then you can try and set voltage higher, if possible on your card.

Check this link if it's your card:
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/20896-sapphire-hd-6850-toxic-edition

Those are the numbers I found also with a quick search. Some voltage of 1.280 but beware that your card can do those voltages and stay safe.

thanks for the reply guys. i really dont want to push this card to its max. i just want a performance boost. since this is quite old but the former owner said that this card was only slightly used never been overclocked and it was only used during weekends with 1 to 2 hours of gaming session, i'd like to see how far can i go with overclocking this card without touching its voltage. i am currently at 900 and 1160.... gotta test more.... i've read something in google that only raising the voltages of the GPU could reduce its lifespan. that may be wrong but i dunno, im not an expert on OCing a GPU lol :bang head

Last edited:
raident30: I am no expert as well, my friend, that's why i strongly suggested to you, check thing's out before you go any further. My HD6950 Is overclocked, but not so high in the settings this end as well, if your not gaming 24/7 i donot think you really need to.

Best regards, AJAY57.

Last edited:
raident30: I am no expert as well, my friend, that's why i strongly suggested to you, check thing's out before you go any further. My HD6950 Is overclocked, but not so high in the settings this end as well, if your not gaming 24/7 i donot think you really need to.:welcome::thup:

Best regards, AJAY57.

yep, i found it my friend: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...d-6850-toxic-edition-review-introduction.html

he reached 1k+ core clock and 1.2k mem clock... with 1.3v i think... LoL that's very high for a everyday use... still thinking about the overclock and testing it. im currently at 950/1170 core and mem clock respectively @ 1.2v... 73c @ full load, no higher than that.... the ambient temps here is like 28c to 30c quite hot...

TAKE IT EASY.

Ok raident30: Just take it easy there, yes i know from experience how HOT it is, when i was their last time it was 34c in the shade with no wind to keep you cool. OK on the web site if you have the right REVIEW it goes from page 1 to 19 i think, SETTINGS/TEMPS/AT IDLE/AND FULL/LOAD. Nice to chat,see you later on.

Best Regards,ajay57.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback ajay57! played BF3 for hours now, now drivers crash or whatsoever errors... wish me luck, hope this lasts for more than a year before i can buy a 670/7950 LoL

If you get time have a quick look on LEET SYSTEM'S and you see your KUYA'S phase 2 update, take care, don't push that new card to hard now all the best.

Back