• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 5870 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosay1991

Hi everyone I've had my good old 5870 OC for a very long while now. It has never given me problems and I have taken extremely good care of it (pristine condition :D).

But it's time to say goodbye to my old friend and upgrade :(. I already pulled the trigger on a newegg deal for an HD 6950 that went for 170 after rebate with free shipping. It came with 2 game coupons (sell those to a couple of friends and its under $150!! :D).

Anyway my question: is this a worthy upgrade? Or should I have just held off and waited for the HD 7XXX series to go down or possibly the 8XXX series coming out :O.

I just couldnt hold my trigger finger for a price under 150 dollars after everything >.<

i would of held off or saved up for a 7870 or 660 ti . i had a 5870 and a 6950 theres not much in the two cards .you will find your self playing games around the same settings if your at 1080p .

i might have pulled the trigger too fast :/.. synthetic benchmarks showed better performance (and a 5~10 fps increase). I figured after selling my old card it would be a cheap under 50$ upgrade :/.

Just a bit. The 78xx series cards would have been a better jump and they come in around 200-250 bucks. Much better than the 6950.

Prices dod just drop on the rear 7 series. $250 for 7870the is a great deal and better than the 6950.

Well to be honest... I got the 6950 for for 170 dollars and I got 2 free games with it Deus Ex and the new Dirt game (front page deal on slickdeals!).

So... If i sell the games for 15 dollars each thats 30. And my 5870 is in pristine condition with the original packaging all in pristine condition I can probably sell that for 120~140 ish.... it's the gigabyte OC version too.

So the way I look at it its an almost free upgrade... (plus I need reasons to justify this impulsive purchase to myself :p :p :p). Oh well.. CARD IS COMING TODAY :D

Back