• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use adaptive vsync?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you use adaptive vsync?

• Yes

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Uh wha?

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Hardin

Last week I started using adaptive vsync because I was playing Risen at the time and triple buffer did not seem to be working. It is not perfect though, it does have occasional tearing especially in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I didn't notice any problems with it in the new counterstrike though. I will have to test more games, but I think the tearing in ac:b is because I can't maintain a constant 60 fps in that game. This is probably the main drawback of adaptive vsync, but I will take it over the 60/30 fps problem.

Thanks for the poll and the responses!

Last edited:
I saw the thread earlier, but I've honestly never heard of it until you mentioned it (I don't game often). So I guess my answer is "no, I don't". I'll make it a poll for you.

I use adaptive vSync on a title by title basis(might want to add something like that to the poll). Some games work very well with adaptive, others not so much. I know with my SLI setup skyrim was MUCH better with adaptive than standard vSync. Dirt2/3 vSync off, D3 internal limiter, etc, etc. I will note that my global setting for vSync is OFF unless specified by the application. You would be amazed at what some programs will do if you don't let them run at their normal refresh rate.

Last edited:
Yep, depends.

I used it with The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, Dirt Showdown mainly, as most of the other games I played stayed well above 60fps maxed out (dirt2/3, ME3, f1 2011).

i picked uhh wuh? cuz i have no idea what that is lol is it the same as normal vsync?

I dont seem to get or notice screen tearing so I dont use it at all.

I dont think not holding 60FPS would be a problem as Adapative Vsync limits the top, but lets the bottom slowly drop out.. at least, thats how I recall it working (need to read up I think, LOL).

It's supposed to turn off vsync if it drops below your refresh rate. The tearing can occur when it gets back to your refresh rate because it doesn't turn back on instantly. It seems that some games have more tearing then others. I really hate screen tearing which is why I always turn on vsync.

Here is a video describing it.

The difference between normal vSync and adaptive vSync is pretty simple(in concept). Normal vSync limits the app to the refresh/programmed limit(usually 60fps these days). When the program falls below the target fps it syncs to a calculated even multiple. Meaning if the driver thinks you would be maintaining ~39fps which could be caused by a single very laggy frame it would vSync you at 30 until the average frame generation time gets below a projected 45FPS then it would jump, etc, etc until target FPS is reached.

Adaptive works that when it detects a projected FPS below target it disables sync and lets the system work unrestricted. When projected FPS reaches target vSync is re enabled.

Right on... so why would a PC not getting 60FPS be the problem if it isnt even enabled below that?

Adaptive doesn't always disable / enable right. Also if your system performs very close to the limit and its switching on and off alot it can cause issues. You can depending on the software also get screen tearing below the refresh rate if its not an even factor of the refresh which is almost as noticeable as tearing above refresh rate.

I love it, even more so now that I have a 120hz monitor. It's obviously harder to maintain 120hz than 60hz. I really feel that this gives me the "best of both worlds".

For me it depends on the game. For Skyrim, I used it, because my framerate was usually mid fifties with mods. Not quite 60 but beats dropping to 30.

I barely notice tearing, but notice some stuttering, but it keeps my temps down, therefore my PC noise down, so yeah, I use it.

Last edited:
Tearing is due to frame rate not being an integer factor of refresh rate.

With adaptive v-sync, v-sync is turned off when frame rate drops below 60Hz. It's the same tearing you get without any v-sync. There is no way around that. It's not "caused" by adaptive v-sync.

When frame rate is above 60Hz, everything is nice and simple - just limit it to 60Hz.

The problem is, if your hardware cannot maintain 60Hz, what should it do?

In adaptive v-sync, you get v-sync turned off, so there's no stutter, but you may get tearing.

In traditional v-sync, frame rate drops to 30 fps, and you get stuttering.

NVIDIA just thought in most situations, turning v-sync off is less intrusive than dropping frame rate to 30 (lesser of the 2 evils), so they implemented adaptive v-sync to give people that choice.

In normal vsync when some games drop to 30FPS you get that stutter, that is what seems to be lag for me.

Back