• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon 64 x2 core temp difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chriscooper

Hi Everyone, have read through you forums for sometime, looking for advice etc but hoping someone can answer a direct question for me. So I have joined up and hopefully at some point I can do the same for someone else.

I have acquired a Athlon 64 x2 4600 rig from a friend that was going to throw it away due to a upgrade. I have been playing with it and hopefully will be using it for storage/file serving etc (to be honest just to mess about with). Initially I had some concerns regarding it temps displayed in Coretemp being too high. So I upgraded its stock cooler, nothing to elaborate but a step up from its existing cooler.

However I have noticed that the is a significant difference between the cores when displayed in core temp.

Core 0 - Idle 11deg
Core 1 - Idle 29deg

Core 0 - load - 25deg
Core 1 - load - 38deg

At no point do any individual temperatures alarm me, but when I compare the difference alarm bells ring... Is this normal for this processor. I have stressed tested it with various pieces of software including running prime95 overnight, it is very stable, no BSOD and no errors. I have remounted the cooler, cleaning off and reapplying thermal paste.

The only thing I can think of is that the heat sink on the die is level or a core temperature probe is off (possibly on Core0, as this temp is the "more unrealistic"

What do you think?
Many Thanks
Chris

Internal temperature probes are woefully inaccurate at low temps, unless your room is quite cold core0 is reading low. Core1 is probably reading a bit high, combine the two and you have what you have.
I wouldn't worry about it.
I should say I don't worry about it, every chip I've ever had the core temps have been at least 5c apart at all times. The record for me was 12c under load.

Back