• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temps ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got this from AMD's website. I know its the 970 but from the research I have done there is very little difference between the 965 and 970 so I am guessing these specs should be very similar.

If I am seeing this right my CPU is too hot. I'm hoping when I get the Hyper 212 I will be in a much better spot.

Attachments

• AMD 970 Specs.JPG
    AMD 970 Specs.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 40
New Prime95 Test

The following are the before test readings. No extra programs were running on computer all day prior to taking readings.

Attachments

• CPUID Before.png
    CPUID Before.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 34
  • CPU-Z Before (CPU).png
    CPU-Z Before (CPU).png
    44.5 KB · Views: 35
  • CPU-Z Before (Memory).png
    CPU-Z Before (Memory).png
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
  • CPU-Z Before (SPD).png
    CPU-Z Before (SPD).png
    22 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
New Prime95 Test (During)

During test. Test ran for 20min before taking readings.

Attachments

• CPU-Z During (Memory).png
    CPU-Z During (Memory).png
    14.5 KB · Views: 36
  • CPU-Z During (CPU).png
    CPU-Z During (CPU).png
    19.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CPUID During.png
    CPUID During.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CPU-Z During (SPD).png
    CPU-Z During (SPD).png
    23.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
New Prime95 Test (After)

After test. Took after test readings approximately 5 minutes after stopping Prime95.

Attachments

• CPU-Z After (Memory).png
    CPU-Z After (Memory).png
    15.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CPU-Z After (CPU).png
    CPU-Z After (CPU).png
    19.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CPUID After.png
    CPUID After.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 36
  • CPU-Z After (SPD).png
    CPU-Z After (SPD).png
    24.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Only Coretemp is reliable for AMD. Take readings (screenshot macro) while test is running.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "screenshot macro". Each core temp is in the CUPID screen shots and I have a CUPID screen shot during the test.

Also this is without the new CPU cooler (Hyper 212). I will rerun the tests when I get it. Also I am thinking the mother board sensor TMPIN2 is my North Bridge. I may need more than the stock heat sink that is currently on it. Any suggestions on what to get? Also are they easy to install?

There are a few problems I can see from you're pics and first one is those temps are high, which is caused by you're board overvolting you're CPU to almost 1.5v (under load) which is not needed for you're clock speed, another is you're ram is @ 800mhz which may be a tad too fast for the IMC on the thuban chips (this is just a advisory as some chips will run 800 and some won't) also if the xmp of you're ram is correct you should be able to tighten you're timings to 9-9-9 but sometimes CPU-z reports them wrong :shrug:

There are a few problems I can see from you're pics and first one is those temps are high, which is caused by you're board overvolting you're CPU to almost 1.5v (under load) which is not needed for you're clock speed, another is you're ram is @ 800mhz which may be a tad too fast for the IMC on the thuban chips (this is just a advisory as some chips will run 800 and some won't) also if the xmp of you're ram is correct you should be able to tighten you're timings to 9-9-9 but sometimes CPU-z reports them wrong :shrug:

He has a Deneb. I'm sure that's what you meant though.

Can you tell me how or point me to a document on how to fix the voltage and timing?

He has a Deneb. I'm sure that's what you meant though.

Yeah I meant Deneb ,don't know why put thuban :screwy:

And @ op you can adjust you're vcore in you're bios by pressing del during boot up, if you set it to around 1.35 and then prime test to make sure that's enough vcore for a stable chip, it should be as I'm sure stock is something around there, I can't remember from the top of my head but it's about that. You will have to take you're voltages off auto to gain access to the settings then it should be easy to tell which setting controls the CPU voltage,(not CPU/nb voltage) that's a different setting

As for timings they care also adjustable in the bios under the memory section but they are complicated things to explain and if you search for "dolks guide" on this forum it is a great guide that will learn you loads about overclocking (if that's what you intend doing) and navigating a bios, I can't give you the link I'm afraid as I'm using my mobile to reply and it's easier for you to search for it than me to trycand get a link

These are the pictures of the inside. 1 x 120mm in back, 1 x 200mm in front. There are vent holes in the top of the case and bottom. I know the cable management is crude but I did the best with what I got on length from the power supply. I do plan on getting extensions later.

Attachments

• 101_0544.JPG
    101_0544.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 26
  • 101_0545.JPG
    101_0545.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 101_0546.JPG
    101_0546.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 101_0547.JPG
    101_0547.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

And @ op you can adjust you're vcore in you're bios by pressing del during boot up, if you set it to around 1.35 and then prime test to make sure that's enough vcore for a stable chip, it should be as I'm sure stock is something around there, I can't remember from the top of my head but it's about that. You will have to take you're voltages off auto to gain access to the settings then it should be easy to tell which setting controls the CPU voltage,(not CPU/nb voltage) that's a different setting.

Awesome. Thanks. Just out of curiosity what will happen if 1.35 is too low?

The case looks good , once you get the new cooler I'm sure you will have fun with all you're hardware :thup:

Awesome. Thanks. Just out of curiosity what will happen if 1.35 is too low?

It will either drop a worker during prime or it will crash (blue screen) its no biggie though, if it does just bump it up a notch and try again, but I will guarantee it won't need 1.49v in the end :D

And @ op you can adjust you're vcore in you're bios by pressing del during boot up, if you set it to around 1.35 and then prime test to make sure that's enough vcore for a stable chip, it should be as I'm sure stock is something around there, I can't remember from the top of my head but it's about that. You will have to take you're voltages off auto to gain access to the settings then it should be easy to tell which setting controls the CPU voltage,(not CPU/nb voltage) that's a different setting

As for timings they care also adjustable in the bios under the memory section but they are complicated things to explain and if you search for "dolks guide" on this forum it is a great guide that will learn you loads about overclocking (if that's what you intend doing) and navigating a bios, I can't give you the link I'm afraid as I'm using my mobile to reply and it's easier for you to search for it than me to trycand get a link

I'm not interested in overclocking. But I will search for and check out "dolks guide". Thanks again

CoreTemp prgm screen shot. Done under normal load. I will repost with full load later.

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Standard Load.png
    CoreTemp-Standard Load.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 24

I tried to adjust the volts but could not locate the place to do it. Attached are screen shots of where I went.

My guess is the setting is under "MB Intelligent Tweeker(M.I.T)". I check that out first and than changed "System Voltage Control" from Auto to Manual. Next I went down to where it says "CPU Voltage Control" and tried to set it to 1.35. The options it gave me was setting between less +1 and greater than -1. Sorry I didn't get that screen shot. Next I went back to the main page and checked out the setting under "Advanced BIOS Features" and did not find anything that made sense there but I attache the screen shot of that area in case there is something I missed.

Sorry again for being so new at this. I am really trying to learn all that I can. I appreciate your patience as well.

To you and everyone that has helped me out you have all been great teachers. Thank you.

Attachments

• 100_0555.JPG
    100_0555.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0556.JPG
    100_0556.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0557.JPG
    100_0557.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0558.JPG
    100_0558.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0559.JPG
    100_0559.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
This is the option you want to be changing, the option for cpu voltage control, if you use the plus and minus buttons on youre keyboard it should increse the voltage from stock, its easier than using the menu once you press enter which is a bit confusing if you dont know what youre inputting :thup:

attachment.php

Back