• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with FX-6100 & Sabretooth 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are you cooling the CPU with? Very important component which you haven't included in your Sig or mentioned in your post nor have you talked about what kind of core/CPU socket temps you have been getting.

What's your case ventilation like? High temps can be caused by poor case ventilation. Poor case ventilation can caused by poor case design, clutter from components/cables/wires but mostly from lack of intake/exhaust fans to move warm air out of the case and replace it with cooler room air. What make and model case do you have? How many intake and exhaust fans do you have? How big are they and where are they located?

Last edited:
Case cooling and such isn't the problem, my high CPU temp was due to a bad heatsink mount.. Now running at 4GHz with 1.45v it idles around 40°C, hits 58-60°C whilst gaming and after running a quick Prime95 test it sits around 71°C..

Does anyone know of a well written guide to overclocking for either or both the FX-6100 and Sabretooth 990FX Mobo? .. I'm new to overclocking with an AMD setup so could use a hand. Idealy I'd like the CPU stable at like 4.2GHz but with turbo boost enabled so it clocks up to 4.5-5Ghz .. Also I'd like the RAM and bus speeds clocked up too, so see my other thread regarding my RAM setup for the current settings.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7293661&postcount=4

Attachments

• RAM.png
    RAM.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 105
If you look through the "Stickys" at the top of this AMD CPU forum section you will find some guides about overclocking the FX CPUs. What you won't find is guide specifically for your CPU/motherboard combo. That's asking a little much.

What I encourage you to do is to learn the principles of overclocking that will apply to any modern AMD system so that you understand what you are doing rather than just plugging in numbers and values in bios that someone else is feeding you.

And, oh. 71c is a high temp. You don't want them to get that high. If you will look at the CPU-z "CPU" tab it will display that info. In fact, it would be a good idea for you to post pics of these three CPU-z tabs together:

CPU Memory SPD

That would give tons of info about your system and your bios settings.

Last edited:
Is that 71c referring to the core temps or the CPU (socket temp)? How about running Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open and then posting a pic of HWMonitor? That would help.

Idealy I'd like the CPU stable at like 4.2GHz but with turbo boost enabled so it clocks up to 4.5-5Ghz .. = That ain't how it works at all.

Frequency = 3300 MHz << Stock speed with Cool N Quiet Disabled so cpu does not lower speed when not loaded.

Turbo frequency 3600 MHz (6 cores) 3900 MHz (3 cores) << If internal sensors in the cpu see the correct TDP and temp and is running @ 3300Mhz the cpu itself can up the cpu speed to 3600Mhz for all 6 cores. IF the load was only on 3 cores and all other TDP and temp parameters were met the cpu could up the cpu speed to 3900Mhz on ONLY 3 cores.

PUSHED and held at 4.2Ghz, the TDP is already so close to the limit the internal sensors would never enable any sort of cpu speed boost no matter how many cores were in use.

Bulldozer OC Guide!
Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly.

Back