• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you guys get your insulating foam?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys!

Just realized I'm out of insulating foam... All I ever had was the stuff Vince sent with my Kingpin orders.

SOOOO... I need to pick up some different thicknesses of foam.

Where you guys getting the good stuff?

Prefer web links to order from if possible.. Unless shipping will make it too prohibitive.

Thanks!

-David

Grainger...standby for edit with link when I find it.

EDIT -
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...uery=1wzd3&op=search&Ntt=1wzd3&N=0&sst=subset

Grainger Item # 1WZD3, Manufacturer Model # 6RX048258. Note the photo at the link is a stock photo and not representative of the actual ID of the insulation. It's $9.87 + tax. You do NOT want it shipped to you - they can't use UPS because it's 6' and they won't bend it. The quote was ~$13 to me. Will call is a much better option, as it's free.

Here's what you get: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7066027&postcount=227

For you guys who have been to grainger... Can you walk in and look at all the different insulations and pick what you want?

I want to pick up several different thicknesses of sheeting, and several diameters of pipe insulation, etc...

But I'll need to actually SEE the product to know if it'll fit my needs.

For you guys who have been to grainger... Can you walk in and look at all the different insulations and pick what you want?

I want to pick up several different thicknesses of sheeting, and several diameters of pipe insulation, etc...

But I'll need to actually SEE the product to know if it'll fit my needs.

Flat sheet -> You only really need 1/2" stuff. Unless you want to make a very comfy bed for your motherboard; anything thicker is just a waste of foam. :D
Pipe stuff -> Same thing. 1/2" thick stuff and 2 1/8" ID pipe insulation fits the K-V2 nice and snug so it will work for F1EEs the same. Again; thicker stuff will just make it harder for you to get the pot's mounting HW around the insulation.

For the stuff in flat form (sheets for the back of the motherboard):
Google search for: K-Flex USA 6RSX3X4048 and find the nearest shop or eStore that ships to you the cheapest. Should be about $18 + S/H.

For the pipe stuff (for the pot):
Google search for: K-Flex USA 6RX048218 and find the nearest shop or eStore that ships to you the cheapest. Should be about $6 per six foot length + S/H.

If you want Frost King (the light grey stuff that is sticky on one side... I used that instead of eraser plenty of times).
Google search for Frost King FV516 and find the nearest store that sells them (Lowes carries it) or an eStore that ships cheap. It's $18 at Lowes for a roll 12" wide and 180" long (You'll probably never use it all).

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know if you can see it @ Grainger. It's not normal for sure. There is a very small retail side with a counter and a small amount of tools. The main warehouse entry is behind the counter. They go get what you bought online and bring it to you. I presume you can tell them the part number you need and they get it, but it's not something I've tried.

I get mine from TJuan and Sees :chair:

:rofl:

Dave... If you need any of the Frost King FV-516 let me know; I have a roll here and it ain't getting any use. :D

Edit:

And for GPU Insulation:
Armacell/Armaflex TAP18230. That stuff is STICKY and will gunk up your pot so wrap it in masking tape before you put this tape on it. That way the gunk is on the masking tape and not the bare metal. :D

Last edited:
LOL... I'll try to pick up my own Seebs... I've gotten the FK before at Home Depot.

It was the flat sheets and the round stock I have trouble with.

ANDDDD... I been lookin' all over for what that Armaflex stuff actually was... The part number and the knowledge that thats what it's called will help immensely in my search!

You got any extra of the Armaflex if I can't find some? Be happy to pay ya for it!

Thanks again guys!

Heading to Grainger tomorrow to buy up what I can...

Hopefully I can find what I need to do some benching this weekend!

Sorry bud... My Armaflex roll of tape went to CA to visit Ed (BNova)... That's why he says he gets his stock from TJ and me... :D But that stuff is at Home Depot as well. :D

Went to Grainger today...

Note to self... Use Will-Call next time.

BUTTTT... I got almost everything I needed... Only had to have one thing shipped. Sadly... It cost me more to ship the item than the item cost me! DOH!

Thanks again guys!

I'll post up the Grainger part numbers and pics in this thread once I get the garage cleaned up a bit for anybody looking in the future.

I usually go to the hardware store and pickup Pipe insulation and use that, or the weather proofing stuff. I've dropped by a place that makes Custom wet suits a few times aswell and bought Neoprene Scraps off the guy.

I usually go to the hardware store and pickup Pipe insulation and use that, or the weather proofing stuff. I've dropped by a place that makes Custom wet suits a few times aswell and bought Neoprene Scraps off the guy.

If you ever get any of those scraps you don't need... I'd be interested in grabbing some from you!

Always wondered how that'd work.

It depends on the type of Neoprene, the stuff you want is closed cell, its actually Dry Suit material. Not wet suit stuff. Since wet Suit is open cell Typicaly. I'll see how much he has I havent talked ot him in a while.

:rofl:

Dave... If you need any of the Frost King FV-516 let me know; I have a roll here and it ain't getting any use. :D

Edit:

And for GPU Insulation:
Armacell/Armaflex TAP18230. That stuff is STICKY and will gunk up your pot so wrap it in masking tape before you put this tape on it. That way the gunk is on the masking tape and not the bare metal. :D

Definitely nice to know for when I make my pot. Thanks Seeeeebs!

Thanks for the links, Sam, unfortunately they all just re-direct to the same thermal insulation page :(

Thanks for the links, Sam, unfortunately they all just re-direct to the same thermal insulation page :(
Whoops.
Thanks to McMaster ><

Do these work?
3 x 4 ft Armaflex (Black elastomeric closed-cell sheet stuff), you can pick thickness (like kingpin cooling sells for outrageous prices):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9349K2

Tube kind, selected 2 3/8 fits KP F1 pots or pick your size
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4463K142

Grey pipe wrap, aluminum back (like frost king grey stuff, but 2 inch wide 1/8th inch tape)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6801K21

Back