• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD 6850 1gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monkey D. Luffy

Registered
Hey, i'm looking to overclock this GPU i just bought
How should I proceed?

My computer specs on the signature :)

The AMD vision control center that is associated with amd video cards has a decent overclocking utility. You can use it manually and slide the scales one notch at a time for core clock and mem clock, test the settings using the tester, and if it passes then you have a "stable" overclock. Then just continue increasing until it you get a test that it doesn't pass, and move it one or two settings back from the test that failed.

However, the settings that it says are stable are not always stable under load. A good tester for stable oc's would be playing a heavy duty game like crysis or BF3 or any game that will take advantage of the 6850. Or you could use a program like Unigine Heaven after setting your clock speeds.

Nothing to add to ^^^^ that.

Unique Heaven, is the best way to stress test, if you turn Tessellation to Normal or Extreme it will stress the card as much or more than any game.

Once you start it hit F9, that will reload to a benching cycle, let it run full session and if it passes turn the core / memory up. (for a 6850 i recommend 10Mhz core, 'starting 30Mhz above stock core' and 25Mhz memory increments) once it fails (usually driver crash) set the clocks where it last passed and that's your final overclock.

If the driver crashes during testing reboot the computer as your drivers will be unstable at that point.

What i usually do is run Unique Heaven in loop for a couple of hours at what i think are stable clocks, just to be sure, sometimes that can throw up a slight instability in which case drop the clocks a little more and go again until its solid for an hour or two.

Last edited:
Okay I oc'd it to 850/1200 with stock volt using MSI Afterburner
Tested it with Unique Heaven on extreme and got scores of 680 average with no errors throughout the whole process

Went into settings in Unique Heaven to unlock Voltage change but I still can't seem to change my voltage

What should I do to unlock my voltage?

Question before attempting to answer your voltage inquiry. Are you planning on using this oc for everyday usage? Because upping the voltage does increase the heat and most likely will decrease the life span of the card. I would run some tests and record the temperatures at the current oc you have, and if the max temp is nowhere near the max temp for the card (which is the boiling point of water, 100C), then you could try some overclocks by increasing the voltage. I think you'd have to do some looking around or wait for someone else to find a program to use for volt oc's, because I can't find any at the moment (the AMD control center doesn't have this option).

Hm, that sounds scary lol.
I think i'll just stay at my stock voltage then,

I'm also wondering how do you test your GPU for stable?
I hit 850/1200 on my OC quite easily without problems and I ran Unique Heaven on Extreme benchmark for a full cycle, is that enough to test for stable?

Hm, that sounds scary lol.
I think i'll just stay at my stock voltage then,

I'm also wondering how do you test your GPU for stable?
I hit 850/1200 on my OC quite easily without problems and I ran Unique Heaven on Extreme benchmark for a full cycle, is that enough to test for stable?

Run Heaven in loop for an hour, don't hit F9 just let it fun for an hour or so once you start it.

If its still going after sometime it's a good bet its pretty stable.

You might also like to try a little more on your overclock, try 870Mhz / 1250Mhz

Read what i said in my first post again :) http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7297249&postcount=3

Just a quick post what about the temps? i would humbly suggest to try to keep things below 80c or lower if possible? I think i read or watched a video on MSI afterburner on YouTube it mentioned in the advanced settings it was possible to alter something so as to alter the voltages of certain cards if my memory is correct. ajay57.

I had it Overclocked @ 850/1200 and ran Unique Heaven without problems.
Tried running furmark and got some visual errors so i lowered it down to 850/1165

Ran Unique Heaven on Extreme for 3 hours with no errors or visual errors
Ran furmark benchmark 15minutes no errors

Temps reach 65c average for Unique Heaven
Temps reach 70-71c average for Furmark

Also i'm not able to increase any higher from 850 or 1200 because voltage is locked (and i dont know how to unlock it, tried it in MSI Afterburner but didn't do anything)

Last edited:
Don't use Furmark, its not good for your GPU :)

To unlock MSI AB go to Settings >> General Tab >> check Unlock Voltage Control >> OK >> OK / Yes.

Don't set such high volts :)

Don't use Furmark, its not good for your GPU :)

To unlock MSI AB go to Settings >> General Tab >> check Unlock Voltage Control >> OK >> OK / Yes.

Don't set such high volts :)

Furmark is bad? I used Unique Heaven and it passed easily but ran furmark when i had 850/1200 and it had artificial errors so wouldn't that mean my GPU wasn't stable?

Also, I know about the unlock in MSI AB but when I checked it, I still couldn't change my volts

Thanks to this thread I'm attempting to OC my son's HD6850.

With clock at 850 and memory at 1000 the computer will hang after a run of Unigine Heaven has completed. Clock at 840 is the same. So I started with everything at stock first, ie. 775/1000, and increase slowly from there, increasing clock first followed by memory.

I've now been able to run Unigine successfully at 810/1100. I'm not finished yet. I'm now going to move clock up till it hangs again. Then go back 20 units and then try to increase memory as far as it can go.

Hope I'm doing it the right way.

EDIT

I've been running Unigine for 15 minutes now at 850/1200 and it seems to be okay. I want to go higher still but MSI AfterBurner won't let me. The max core clock I can set is 850 and for memory it's 1200. For AMD OverDrive I can only set to 850/1150. How do I go higher? Thanks.

EDIT 2

I could run Unigine for 30 minutes on the 22" display at 1680 X 1050 on 850/1200. So I thought I'd try to run it again on the 32" LCD TV at 1080p. But the computer hanged after less than a couple of minutes. Toned down the memory to 1180 leaving core untouched at 850. Unigine has been running now for 15 minutes without a problem.

Last edited:
Okay so my GPU is running at 850/1165 on stock voltage and ran unique heaven with no errors on september 17th.

Just yesterday, whenever I try to load a video on youtube or some video, my audio + mouse stutters for split seconds constantly.

Now my desktop does this as you can see in the image, there's a repeat of graphic error whenever i drag a folder or whatever across my desktop screen very fast.

What do you guys think the problem is? I already tried a fresh reformat but the problem remains

zGg3l.jpg

Update:
I went to run Memtest86+ to see if my ram was faulty
I got an error similar to this within 2-4 hours of testing
kWVjw.jpg

I looked around google to see why my memtest86+ was giving this error and it seems like the cause is the video card.

Did I do something to ruin my video card? I never changed the stock voltage and the GPU has been reset to 775/1000 ever since i had this error yesterday but nothing is fixed

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm new to this community, so this is my first post.:D
My system is +-4 years old. Still works fine, and I'm still happy with it. (look at the bottom of my post).
As my system is a few years old and wanted to make some performance upgrades, I decided to start OC my graphics.
My CPU is OK, and I want to keep that. My graphics card is about to replace in a few months... So now I try to get a little bit more performance out of my card.

The deault OC is 775/1000 (Core/Memory) and I changed it to 820/1105. Graphics are a little better now, I'm running Titanfall at HD 1080p on high settings, with a framerate of +-30FPS. The temperature is below 60 degrees celcius after 5 minutes playing. It looks fine. BUT, when I connect a second screen with a vga-dvi adapter I see a little artifacts like stripes for a milisecond. Often when I open a youtube movie.
I have LED 1080p monitor for gaming (DVI connected), and a second small one (LCD, connected with VGA-DVI adapter), and a LCD TV (HDMI).
With my default monitor enabled ONLY, I don't experience artifacts or stripes. The game runs still fine after 5 minutes. I know I have to test it for a hour, but I didn't got patience for that yet, lol.

Does anybody has an advice for the problem or something which can be better?

Regards, Lajos

Edit: Where is my signature? -,- Well...

CPU: AMD Phehom II X4
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Mobo: MSI-GF615M-P33 V2
Chipset Model: GeForce 7025
Ram: 6,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1
HDD: 128GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO SCSI Disk Device (SSD);1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
PSU: OCZ ModXstream PRO 600W

aero

Okay so my GPU is running at 850/1165 on stock voltage and ran unique heaven with no errors on september 17th.

Just yesterday, whenever I try to load a video on youtube or some video, my audio + mouse stutters for split seconds constantly.

Now my desktop does this as you can see in the image, there's a repeat of graphic error whenever i drag a folder or whatever across my desktop screen very fast.

What do you guys think the problem is? I already tried a fresh reformat but the problem remains

zGg3l.jpg

Update:
I went to run Memtest86+ to see if my ram was faulty
I got an error similar to this within 2-4 hours of testing
kWVjw.jpg

I looked around google to see why my memtest86+ was giving this error and it seems like the cause is the video card.

Did I do something to ruin my video card? I never changed the stock voltage and the GPU has been reset to 775/1000 ever since i had this error yesterday but nothing is fixed

because you're running at such a high memory clock the card sometimes struggles 2 keep up,so you get image tearing or duplicate frames on windows. crossfire or sli might help but i recommend turning off aero ,aero is a glassly frame look around windows brought in at vista I think it was this just makes the the frames look nice , as i had a similar problem and changing the status from appearance to performance made the hell difference but ****ty looking XP frames

hope it helped

hey this thread is pretty old but i just wanted someone that can help me.
i got this old dell machine and put in an hd 6850 overclocked it, but it seems like i destroyed it.
i didnt mess with any of the voltages the only thing i changed was the memory clock and the normal clock i over clocked it to (835/1165) but now it like splits up the screen wich is really anoying
IMG_3819.jpg IMG_3820.jpg

Intel xeon 5150 2.66 ghz (2x)
4 gb of ram
dell motherboard more do i not know
sapphire hd 6850 1gb gddr5
320 gb hitachi drive at 7200.1 (dont know why it said 7200.1 but i think its an hybrid drive)

Unless you flashed the bios with those new clocks, all you need to do is restore them with the software you used to set them.
Alternative, download and install MSI Afterburner and reset them with that.

Back