• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone still using VapoChill LS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-Bo

Registered
I maybe in the market for new board and CPU combo and was just curious if any are still using the ole VapoChill LS setups with any success? (Strictly for benchmarking and overclocking for the fun of it)

I haven't used one of those units, but it is my understanding that they do not handle the wattage of the newer CPU's. So the temps are not cold enough to make it worthwhile.

I have used it on an Intel Q6600 G0 with no issues (105 watts, 155 full load)

I haven't researched the output of any of the newer CPUs but I was under the impression the newer CPU's are more efficient and output less heat.

Those are wattages at stock clocks :)

For benching, CPUs draw MUCH more power than TDP.

I have a Mach 2 GT single stage which is similar to the VapoChill, and it can't handle a Q6600 with high volts during multi-threaded long tests like wPrime. So, I got a cascade :thup:

I'm not running it long term though. I am just running some benchmarks and just trying to push it.

Currently I would run my Q6600 at 1.4+ volts while under the VapoChill. It hits 4.25GHz pretty easily and can complete quite a few benchmarks. Obviously I'm not running Toast or Prime on it.

If you already have the vapochill and are buying a new CPU and board, then I would definitely try it. As long as you can make it fit the socket and mounting.

If it can hold a Q6600 at 4.25GHz it'll hold a 3770k at pretty much anything.

I didn't mean Prime95 the stability test, I'm talking about the benchmark wPrime. It runs on all cores for 5 minutes or so at 4.5GHz and overloads small or cheap SS units from my experience. On the single threaded benchmarks you'll probably be fine since you can disable all but 1 core. The Q6600 needs volts (1.6-1.8) and good NB (P45/X48) on the motherboard to clock high.

Yep, still using my stock vapo ls with ivy bridge. It will take it to 5.5ish ghz 4c/8t easy depending on chip.

It really usefull for low clock benching like 32m @ 5Ghz or ram testing where imc needs to be chilled.

I have one in the closet, it still works and was thinking about reverbing it for a new build. I found a shop ( http://www.kit-tronics.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3216 ) that still has parts for it. It was acting real funny when I retired it and I think it needs a control board. Also the shell is worn-out, heaters burned out and thermistor is acting up causing it to run-away. Anyway I found all those parts unless the page was just left up and don't exist. Of course the last shell made for it 775 but the evaporator head is fairly standard and a chilly1 shell should fit it.
IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Back