• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody have experience with data recovery company?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys...

After making a noob mistake this evening my 2TB WD Black Storage drive is dead...

Read about my mistake here....

Anyway... I need to get the data off that drive if at all possible.

Does anybody here have experience with any data recovery companies?

Is this going to be a couple hundred dollar deal or are we talking multiple hundreds?

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

I don't quite understand how you wired it up wrong in your other thread.

Your cheapest option, by far, is to buy another drive of the same exact model and swap the logic boards. That is likely all that is dead. Otherwise you are looking at a lot of money to have a company do it for you.

I don't quite understand how you wired it up wrong in your other thread.

Your cheapest option, by far, is to buy another drive of the same exact model and swap the logic boards. That is likely all that is dead. Otherwise you are looking at a lot of money to have a company do it for you.

I didn't actually "wire" it wrong... I used the wrong wire.

It's a modular PSU... Well... I used the cable from a different brand of PSU... And they are evidently pinned out differently at the PSU end of the wire.

As for swapping the logic board... Good idea! Hadn't thought of that.

Something similar happened to me. If you don't want to look for a new PCB / donor drive, probably what went wrong is a little black box (I don't remember the exact name of that component, is something similar to a fuse) close to the SATA power connector. What you can do if you just need the data out of the drive is remove that black box and power on the drive. It should work but you should not use that drive as a daily driver.

Again, I am nowhere close to an electronics guru, and I just read this on Seagate's forum when a 7200.11 750GB I had died. I did it, it worked, but YMMV.

Back