• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding case fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brad 2

Hello people.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not very technical so please be gentle with me.

I have moved my PC in front of a central heating radiator, about 26cm away from the rad.

I have put an extra fan at the top of the case, its a Noctua NF-S12B FLX and connected it to a molex.

Now I have one fan in the front of case, one at the back and one at the top, all 120mm

Now the a central heating will start staying on longer I want to fit another case fan on the front, I think that's the best place for it?

Also is it a PWM fan I need?

I've already got a fan splitter, 12 inch TX3 Fan Power Splitter Cable

Could I put the splitter on the chas fan on the mobo to feed the extra fan even though its already feeding the back fan?

The mobo is a ASRock A75M-HVS

Also does it control the fans?

Can you tell me what the PWR fan is for?

Thanks

:welcome: to the forums

I'll do my best to answer/ask a few things.

First of all, why did you move your computer in front of a heat source? Generally you would want to keep it as far away as possible as to prevent extra ambient heat from building up in the computer.

You don't necessarily need a PWM fan, PWM just allows it to be a variable speed set by the motherboard/etc pins (assuming there is an extra plug). You could always get one that just uses a normal molex connector and not have to worry about splitting connections.

The 'PWR fan' is for the Power Supply fan, some PSUs (not all) have a PWM fan that can be plugged into the motherboard for it to be controlled (I prefer to just let it do its thing without plugging into the motherboard)

Thanks for the welcome Janus, :)

You have explained it well, that's a great help for me now to get the extra fan and know how to connect it.

Thank you :ty:

The other half wanted more room, and the only way to get it was to put the PC in front of the rad. She said she would pay for the fan, so it was a deal. :thup:

Sounds good. I would try to put some sort of barrier between the PC and the radiator if possible to avoid the heat from getting directly into the case. Fortunately you should be bringing in cool air from the front and pushing out the back so it shouldn't have a huge impact on your temps.

Sounds good. I would try to put some sort of barrier between the PC and the radiator if possible to avoid the heat from getting directly into the case.

What a terrific idea, :thup: I can only think of polystyrene to use with perhaps kitchen foil stuck on it facing the rad.

Have you got anything in mind that I could use?

Thanks for putting that for me to think about. :)

What a terrific idea, :thup: I can only think of polystyrene to use with perhaps kitchen foil stuck on it facing the rad.

Have you got anything in mind that I could use?

Thanks for putting that for me to think about. :)

That could work, of course make sure that the fan output isn't blocked on the back of the case, though.

Back