• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iphone for digital school books?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I am Mac ignorant. My work buddies all have iphones and told me last night that I can download and install e-books on an iphone. That would be perfect for me to study at work when work is slow. right now we are in a 6 mon slow down period and I literally have hours of nothing to do. I start school next week and would love to be able to read my school books on a iphone.

Q's
1) What are your Iphone & data packages per month?
2) Has anyone else studied for school on an Iphone?
3) Would it be better/cheaper to just use a i-touch?

At this point I am not even sure school books are digitized? Thanks for your replies.:cool:

Which e-books are you looking to download?

The most common ebook formats are epub, mobi, or PDF and they can be put on any phone, not just an iphone. You're friends were probably referring to the apple store.

As someone who is in university I can say that most text books are not digitized. But the ones that are typically can be downloaded as a PDF or one of the above stated formats. Science and math text books are more likely to be available for download, where as arts subjects can be more obscure and harder to find.

Check out amazon, chapters, barnes and noble and the Google play store to see if you're books are available. If you know the right places to search you can easily find these for free if they are a more popular textbook. If they are available then you might want to consider buying a tablet to read your books on.

Thanks, you reply helps. I am starting out for an Assoiciates of Applied Technology. My goal is to start out as a tech in the semi-conductor industry (which I now work) and to later beomce an engineer. So my field will be technical/science. So e-books should be plentiful for my corse work.

Thanks, you reply helps. I am starting out for an Assoiciates of Applied Technology. My goal is to start out as a tech in the semi-conductor industry (which I now work) and to later beomce an engineer. So my field will be technical/science. So e-books should be plentiful for my corse work.

My friend who recently took a degree in comp-sci told me that he could find PDF's of his text books pretty easily.

Another option if you have access to a business copy machine is to scan the text books and email the copys to your email, then copy them to your tablet or phone. I used to borrow books from the library and do this to avoid paying for the text.

Iphone packages.

About $100 a month, maybe 80 for a limited data phone package.

$200+ for the phone unless you buy an older model. Thats with the 2 year plan.

School books won't be on E-books. Nope. When the writers are professors and can charge $127.999 for a book why would they E-book for $9.99?

Find out what books your school is using. Ask the professors etc. Check if it's a new book or last years revision. There is a HUGE market in used schoolbooks, you can save tons. Just gotta do your homework. Hit the campus, read the wall notes, forums for the college etc.

And ask the college if they have even one E-book availible. You got the time, hit it!

Iphone packages.

About $100 a month, maybe 80 for a limited data phone package.

$200+ for the phone unless you buy an older model. Thats with the 2 year plan.

School books won't be on E-books. Nope. When the writers are professors and can charge $127.999 for a book why would they E-book for $9.99?

Find out what books your school is using. Ask the professors etc. Check if it's a new book or last years revision. There is a HUGE market in used schoolbooks, you can save tons. Just gotta do your homework. Hit the campus, read the wall notes, forums for the college etc.

And ask the college if they have even one E-book availible. You got the time, hit it!

Typically the PDF will come with a purchase of the physical book, which people upload to various places on the net. Not sure the rules about talking about that kind of thing on this forum, so I'll just leave it at saying it is possible to find a lot of popular science books in PDF if you look in the right places.

I took Statistics for Scientists last summertime and I managed to find the 150+$ text for free online in PDF format. I lucked out because now the prof is using his own text that he wrote himself.

I think the best option though for the OP is to get a 7 inch tablet like a Nexus 7 for viewing stuff like this on the go. If you already have a smart phone you can simply put your class notes on it to study them that way, maybe use dropbox or skydrive to sync everything up. I usually do this before exams when I get there a couple hours early to study.

Back