• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Well i just got my GA-MA785GPMTU2H back from RMA with a slip saying the board was reset to default and is working fine.

Put the board back in my rig and im having the exact same problem as before I sent it into them. Plus now the board is making a clicking sound... :bang head

So other than the board what would cause the system not to boot and render the power and reset switches inoperable?
HDD spins up and fans spin up but thats it.

Ive tried different ram and a spare psu with no change.

Im considering sending the board back to them after I take a torch to it. :mad:

Well I removed the HSF and powerd up the system. CPU doesnt even get warm. But there is a tiny chip above the socket that is way too hot to touch within 1 second of hitting the power button.

you were right on one. ;)

dead chip is dead.
I setup the rig on a box and only hooked up the psu to the board and a single power switch. No fans or HSF.
Clicking is coming from the cpu itself... If I unlock the socket it goes away, lock the socket and the click comes back.

Ive never heard of a chip clicking before...
Thankfully AM3 chips are dirt cheap.

Too bad, I had a dead 925 that tricked me into thinking my 990Xa was dead and gone till I tested it in another motherboard... The clicking thing is weird though.

Glad ya figured it out.

Basically the same as the 925 but with .5lower multiplier. AMD BCLK overclocking is so awesome you shouldnt have ant issues getting that puppy to 4Ghz. Great price too.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn on the power with the HSF removed, that's a sure way to kill and fry CPU and MB, always test with another CPU and MB if you can or take it some place that can test both.
I had a friend's CPU socket melt and burn when the HSF fell off, before the HSF hit the bottom of the case (10" fall) the socket burned and melted from the heat from the CPU. (HSF was not on all the way, that's why it fell)

Well I removed the HSF and powerd up the system. CPU doesnt even get warm. But there is a tiny chip above the socket that is way too hot to touch within 1 second of hitting the power button.

Modern chips, especially intel, throttle strongly, if you're on the ball (and have a finger on the CPU) you can power on, see a POST screen and turn it back off without issues.
It's been a while since an Intel CPU could fry if you weren't overclocking and didn't turn off the thermal protection stuff.
You can burn your finger though, as the chip'll level out at around 100-105c.

Yeah I had my finger on the cpu and my other hand on the power switch.
Previously the base of the HSF was cold so I was 99% sure the cpu was dead.

Going to pick up that B93 now.

Back