• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

measuring fan rpm's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
is there a thing you can buy to measure the fan rpm's without using a mobo?
i was looking at the kaze master fan controller but it costs lots of dollhairs :(

Would a program do the job ?

it would if i could plug the fan into a motherboard, i suppose i could just make an extended wire to a motherboard on the other side of the room lol, that will be a last resort though :)

Programs read fan speed off the motherboard (unless that software came with hardware to plug fans in to...).

A fan controller is your best bet IMO. They all cost dollars. But I think for like $40 you can get a nice Lamptron that does that...some are cheaper too.

The one i had in mind was speed fan 4.47 which not only does speed it does voltage and more it's up to you buddy. I can see loads of friends looking on, my be they will jump in? By the way it's FREE.

Programs read fan speed off the motherboard (unless that software came with hardware to plug fans in to...).

A fan controller is your best bet IMO. They all cost dollars. But I think for like $40 you can get a nice Lamptron that does that...some are cheaper too.

i suppose il just have to go that route argh lol i need to monitor between 1-4 ultra kazes i just bought so a 4 channel laptron should do ;)

p.s. they(ultrakazes) are only 5 bucks with shopp runner free shipping btw heads up :D

just wish this rig would be complete already lol its alot more work and dollhairs than i anticipated but it should be worth it :):attn:

I have a fan controller here brand new it's a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus never used it just in my spare box, so what do you want to do?

it dont have rpm monitoring :( but thanks for the offer :)

Arduino + RPM Reading code + LCD Display = Custom RPM readout without using the MoBo. :D It costs some $, but I like DIY stuff better than "bought" units.

I hope my link post is OK this time as last time i had a problem so very careful now hi hi. That's OK you know you have friends willing to help buddy. "Your welcome"

Last edited:
I thought you could read rpm with some digital multimeters. Ask Tator Tot.

Buy "cheap" digital multi meter that has a frequency measurement, then hook the fan's rpm like this below schematic. Again, I said cheap, no need for those expensive DMM.

To get the rpm, just multiply the frequency reading by 30.

Ther resistor can be any value above 1K and below 10K Ohm.

PS : Ignore the 2nd pic that with the small box "PWM Fan Controller" if its confusing you, or just see it as the mobo with the pwm line. :D

57qp1mwfibuv7zxnlokm.png

Video from the giant PWM controller thread, an example from my dmm, that orange thingy with the frequency reading used as rpm reader.

Multiply by 30 because the Hall effect sensor hits twice per rotation?

Multiply by 30 because the Hall effect sensor hits twice per rotation?

Edit : Just to simplify thing, the answer is yes. ;)

Simple explanation :

Fan rotation is measured in RPM, stands for Revolution(Round) Per Minute.

While frequency is measured at how many period (pulse) in one second.

See the difference ?

Say a fan is running at 1200 RPM.

= 1200 rotations / minute
= 1200 rotations / 60 seconds
= 20 rotations / second

So in one second that rpm wire generates :

20 rotations/sec X 2 pulses = 40 pulses/sec = 40 Hz = as in the frequency meter reading.​

Converting back from frequency reading at the meter to RPM (Rev Per MINUTE) is easy using this simple formula :

(Frequency Reading Result) X 60 Seconds / (2 Pulses per rotation)​

Hence -> (Frequency Reading Result) X 30 equal to the fan's RPM.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
i like that convicted1! il look into that, but i think im going to go with the scythe kaze controller with the lcd output or the lamptron

and i dont think my multi meter has a hz setting il check when i get home from work

You can report it to software on the computer using a microcontroller fairly easily.
If you're patient I'll work something up using the TI MSP430 Launchpad.
The whole thing, including USB cable, is $4.30 from TI.

You can report it to software on the computer using a microcontroller fairly easily.
If you're patient I'll work something up using the TI MSP430 Launchpad.
The whole thing, including USB cable, is $4.30 from TI.

thanks, but the computer would be on the other side of the room, and i want to be able to take pics of all my instruments at the same time (psi, gpm, temps, d/t, fan speed[or fan voltage]). i think im just going to plug them into a motherboard header and adjust the voltage on them and check speeds at what volts do the fans spin, and just use that as the base, or once i get some dollars im gonna get a fan controller with rpm readouts. getting ever closer should have my new fans in today some 38mmx120mm 3k rpm beasts :p

i think im gonna just start a thread for getting this testing rig setup lol

also should be making the frame to hold all the stuffs soon like ;)

Back