• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GYGABITE HD7970 Power Connector Pinouts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Hello,

I just grabbed a GYGABITE 7970 and one thing that came to my attention is that the card uses two power connectors. One is a 6-pin and the other is an 8-pin. GYGABITE supplied the molex adapters, however, my question is, can I just use the PCIe power plugs coming directly from my power supply? I am unsure if the pinout on the card matches the pinout on the power connectors from my power supply.

Here is my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Here is my card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

The two PCIe power connectors on the PSU are 6+2 pins. Which would be ideal because like I said, one plug on the card is an 8-pin and the other is a 6-pin. Cable management wise, it would be far more convenient if I can just use my native PSU's power cables. I really don't want to blow anything up by switching power with ground and ground with power if the pinouts aren't the same (reverse voltage protection??) :chair: Any information is greatly appreciated guys.

Yes, use the power plugs from your power supply. The adapters are for people who don't have connections on the power supply, or for those who are running 2-4 cards and need more pcie connectors but don't have them natively on the PSU

Last edited:
Yes, use the power plugs from your motherboard. The adapters are for people who don't have connections on the power supply, or for those who are running 2-4 cards and need more pcie connectors but don't have them natively on the PSU

? You mean power supply, right?

Thanks guys. I am assuming the dangling 2-pins are keyed so they can only fit on one edge of the connector?

Yup, they'll fit. There's a published standard, called ATX, that pretty much all PC parts conform to.

Just make sure you're using the PCIe power cable and not the EPS power cable (4+4 connector, goes into your motherboard near the CPU). They have the same key but different pinouts.

Yup, they'll fit. There's a published standard, called ATX, that pretty much all PC parts conform to.

Just make sure you're using the PCIe power cable and not the EPS power cable (4+4 connector, goes into your motherboard near the CPU). They have the same key but different pinouts.

Will do sir. Thank you! :)

Make sure you dont **** it up because the 8 pin to the mobo is different then your pci-e cables. It should say on the wire of the cable PCI if it doesnt do not put it in your video card. Also dont use anything in between your PSU and any of your hardware(extention cables) it will have to add more pull from the motherboard stressing it more.

Make sure you dont **** it up because the 8 pin to the mobo is different then your pci-e cables. It should say on the wire of the cable PCI if it doesnt do not put it in your video card. Also dont use anything in between your PSU and any of your hardware(extention cables) it will have to add more pull from the motherboard stressing it more.
Oof, a couple of things here...

1. Its impossible to make that mistake as the 8 pin PCIe pinout is different than the 8 pin EPS CPU cable are different in the first place...
pinout.jpeg

2. What are you talking about not using anything between your PSU and any of your hardware? That doesnt make sense to me as written.

Back