• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much GDDR do I need to run my game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi Pierre
I measure usage with msi afterburner's monitoring function.

Okay great, i just wish some one had some numbers on ProjectCARS, since im about to order my new GPU, and so far im not closer to knowing if i need the 6Gb version, i want it cos i run mainly eyefinity, but do i really need it? And when i have the money, will i still be able to buy the 6gb version for CFX!

Why are GPU's hell on earth? :mad:

Well your Wish is my command Pierre here is your numbers enjoy, by the way you can alter settings and the GPU'S in this post. So book mark the page for future Reference Philip.:D:rofl:

1,http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3413&game=Project CARS

P.S. Dont forget to press the thanks button?

I was actually on that page already Philip, but it doesnt tell me about Vram usage, i hang out on the Game forums, since i play the beta, people are all about nVidia, and yes its does out perform the 7970 in small areas, but 9,5/10 of all test people run on there are on single monitors!

I would really like to know how much it actually uses, tested, since theres a new release every 2 days of the pre alpha beta, things change, and i really feel i need a physically tested result, like we have for other games in this thread.

Well you can not say i tried hi hi, just checked my set up in the post says short of RAM only 2GB? Can run on low/medium settings, like the look of project cars just getting into games here. Ok can not stay here to long the wrong thread we will have the GREENS chasing us Pierre. So come back to me once more the we will have to leave it at that. Regards Philip.

Added more 3d vision stats and started running the 3d vision gddr penalties. So far, the average penalty at 5760x1080 is 629.6MB. Posting via my phone atm but will add a table (including the 1080p penalties) and clean up the post next week.

UPDATE: Added 3dv penalty table. The average 1080p penalty is 299.5MB. Also did some misc cleanups to the post.

Last edited:
Hi folks

Made a lot of updates. Added a bunch of 3D Vision scores and added a new graph. Updated the main table to show 3DV and non-3DV scores (including non-3D, 5760x1080 @ 2x AA for comparison purposes). Also added tables for the 3D Vision penalty (vs. non-3DV). Made numerous updates to scores and notes.

Having a couple issues that I'm wondering if anyone can help with.
- Cannot get Crysis to run at 5760x1080 anymore. The game doesn't give an option for that resolution. Weird because it was working before at that rez.
- A number of games are showing weird results when comparing non-3DV and 3DV scores. Intuitively (and from testing)...3DV gddr usage should be higher than (or maybe equal to?) the equivalent non-3DV runs. Some are actually showing lower gddr usage when running in 3D. Disabled physx and re-ran the tests but the results didn't change. Any ideas?
- Dirt Showdown no longer runs for me although the demo still shows available on steam. When I launch the demo the splash screen appears but then hangs indefinitely saying it's loading.
- A number of games (Call of Juarez, Final Fantasy XIV, Doom3 and others) refuse to run at 5760x1080.

Appreciate any ideas or guidance.
tia!

Last edited:
Perhaps I can get some data on the games I have and post them up to help.. This will be well after the Holiday though.. kick me in the arse to remind me please. :)

Awesome charts!! Think we could get some data for 1440p and 1600p?
Thanks Atomichearse. If someone else runs them will certainly add them. My issue is that I can only do whatever my setup can run (have 3 1920x1080 monitors so 1440/1600 are no-go for me).

Perhaps I can get some data on the games I have and post them up to help.. This will be well after the Holiday though.. kick me in the arse to remind me please. :)
That'd be great EarthDog...tia!

By after the Holiday do you mean from after 11/26 or Jan.1? ;P I'll update the main post to show which ones are canned benchmarks so when I remind you ...
After Thanksgiving I can run the canned stuff + BF3 at 1440p to be clear.
Schweet :)

Last edited:
Great thread! Thanks to all who have contributed, and kept it up to date.

Slightly off topic, and perhaps I missed it, but what happens if your video card runs out of video ram? If you are playing a game with a 2GB video card, and the game loads using 1.5GB of ram, but could eventually use 2.2GB of ram, what does the game do when it hits the 2GB limit of the card?

Thanks for the information.

FPS comes crashing down until the gddr usage drops below the max available.

Just stumbled across this thread, thanks for tabulating it all FunSoul. Added to the NVIDIA & AMD sticky threads. :thup:

I'd actually make it a sticky here, but then it would mysteriously disappear from view. :bang head

Okay, finally i got something interesting to share.

I just got my second HD7970 6Gb and as some members may remember i spent a lot of time researching if i need 3gb, most people told me not to get 6gb as 3 was more then enough.

Well, not i got my second card, and really turned up the heat in the pre-alpha game, ProjectCARS, which is the soul purpose why i got these GPUs.

Now i want to show this.
Vram_use_Pcars_Derby_big_thumb.png

The game is far from finished, but just to show there are games out there that can use more then 3Gb

Specs on rig are in Sig, and i was running eyefinity 5760*1080 60hz screens, all settings on max in the game.

Last edited:
Great stuff Pierre! Yes...the number of games that slurp over 3 gigs is climbing. When you get a chance, can you run the same test at 1920*1080? Will add your data points to the table and graph. Thanks!!

Back