• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is it a worthy upgrade from 6850 to 7770?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-matlet

I just bought the 7770, and now I'm beginning to think if it was a mistake. It should run a lot better in all logic because it is a lot newer card, but I'm hearing that it is not better. Someone please help me here!

Hi E, theres always gona b something better out there.:)

What did you buy the 7770 for? If it does what it was bought to do, I guess its fine. Unless you can trade it back for a very minimal loss or none.

Try it out, like what Pierre said.

Else buy the 6850 and donate the 7770 to me:bday:

thanks for the help, im obviously cancelling the order for the 7770 and buying 7870 instead. i was so focused on compatibility that i completely forgot about performance. wont happen again

Hi E, theres always gona b something better out there.:)

What did you buy the 7770 for? If it does what it was bought to do, I guess its fine. Unless you can trade it back for a very minimal loss or none.

Try it out, like what Pierre said.

Else buy the 6850 and donate the 7770 to me:bday:
I think you misunderstood, I have the 6850 currently and I planned on completing a purchase for the 7770. So the 6850 is what I already have, but you said I should buy it. :p

in Far Cry 2 the 6850 gets 15fps more than the 7770 @ 1920x1200 HQ 8xAA etc

without checking more, I think I remember seeing the 7770 getting beat out in almost everything - is a strange card, seems to exist more for marketing purposes than any real practical use in my mind... People like newer numbers + just plain confusing for people not wanting to jump into lots of benchmarks etc :bang head

I would stick with what you have a while longer and upgrade 1st Quarter next year once price drops come from the new 8000 series cards + maybe OC your card to 6870 speeds + for now if you want more speed - The gains from such an OC are good, maybe an extra 7fps+ ...enough to get your smooth back ^^

No worries if you can upgrade anyways right?

Or you know what to go with if you wanna spend cash Now ;)

in Far Cry 2 the 6850 gets 15fps more than the 7770 @ 1920x1200 HQ 8xAA etc

without checking more, I think I remember seeing the 7770 getting beat out in almost everything - is a strange card, seems to exist more for marketing purposes than any real practical use in my mind... People like newer numbers + just plain confusing for people not wanting to jump into lots of benchmarks etc :bang head

I would stick with what you have a while longer and upgrade 1st Quarter next year once price drops come from the new 8000 series cards + maybe OC your card to 6870 speeds + for now if you want more speed - The gains from such an OC are good, maybe an extra 7fps+ ...enough to get your smooth back ^^

No worries if you can upgrade anyways right?

Or you know what to go with if you wanna spend cash Now ;)

The 7770 is in a odd performance/price bracket. Its slower then the 6850 for a similar price, but its good features are a much lower power draw and newer DirectX and <3watt long idle compared to the 6850, among other things.

They should have not made a hd7750 and put the 7770 in that price range instead. But even the HD7750, which I have, outperforms the 550ti and perhaps the GTX 650 and is pretty close to the stock 7770 with the high OC I have on it and doesn't require a 6 pin connector.

The HD7850 is a very good choice for an upgrade form the 6850, you won't be disappointed :)

Back