• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

89xx release time frame guesses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M33Cat

When did the 58xx, 69xx and 79xx release in stores

I just wish I knew how long to wait and see about 8900 so I could adjust my budget, I'm not waiting for nvidia's next gen, and I sure hope they are cheaper than 7900 on launch, otherwise I'll definitely get 79x0s or 670s

Won't be less than $500 unless they have meh performance, may be more if they dominate the current stuff.
Timeframe wise, when the previous cards came out has little to do with when these will come out.

Hopeful people wish for a holiday season release...

but others think we are realistically talking more like March or April

Still though none of this is firm by any means, just more rumours

I read somewhere that the 88** series was expected to release in January 2013. If so, they may try to push out 89** for the holidays, but I would expect them to at least release them with the 88**s.

dang if that is a fact, then amd are stepping it up this go around :thup: pricing doesnt seem to terrible either :)

That isnt their high end.. so pricing seems about right to me for what they are 'named'.

i know 9xx is high 8xx is mid silly goose they arent "bad" prices :p

if an 8870 really equals or beats a 680, I'd CF them for that price for sure, right now in Canada the cheapest 7950/70 I know of are non-ref powercolors for $296 and $360, but I'm wary of powercolors build quality

if the 8950s are +400, I'll get 8870s or 7970s

This is no different than the last gen of stuff...meaning the 660 SLI beats a 580 easily and so on. :)

I would have to imagine 2 midrange new gen cards will spank a single card.

Guess ED still got in mind that Nvidia is beating them all. Anyway, looking forward to the new gen, which is released way to fast. I dont feel the urge to get them because im already overpowered using 7000 series @1080P. The software is not keeping pace anymore, but i guess most enthusiast got in mind that PC is still well supported? Ah anyway, at least AMD isnt holding back it seems... and is trying to act with pride.

According to AMD a CPU is not a big bottleneck anymore (so they kinda accept defeat and wont push it), but GPU can still be a bottleneck so thats why they seems to expand theyr ressources on GPU even more. The outcome surely can give Nvidia a hard time, i feel it. For AMD what matters the most is that they got the most powerful GPU technology so they can at the same time strenghten up theyr APUs (CPU with strong IGP) and of course the next gen consoles (Xbox 720 + Wii U at least), which is a important market for them. Although no one believe me, AMD will raise and fall with Radeon because its a crucial part in way to many stuff they gonna build (considering theyr APU mentality).

Last edited:
I'm sorry, what do you mean here?

I'd like to ask the same thing, Ivy. That looks plain offensive.

Guess ED still got in mind that Nvidia is beating them all. Anyway, looking forward to the new gen, which is released way to fast. I dont feel the urge to get them because im already overpowered using 7000 series @1080P. The software is not keeping pace anymore, but i guess most enthusiast got in mind that PC is still well supported? Ah anyway, at least AMD isnt holding back it seems... and is trying to act with pride.

According to AMD a CPU is not a big bottleneck anymore (so they kinda accept defeat and wont push it), but GPU can still be a bottleneck so thats why they seems to expand theyr ressources on GPU even more. The outcome surely can give Nvidia a hard time, i feel it. For AMD what matters the most is that they got the most powerful GPU technology so they can at the same time strenghten up theyr APUs (CPU with strong IGP) and of course the next gen consoles (Xbox 720 + Wii U at least), which is a important market for them. Although no one believe me, AMD will raise and fall with Radeon because its a crucial part in way to many stuff they gonna build (considering theyr APU mentality).

It's not released way too fast. It's the pace computer stuff has. Unwrap your GPU, and just before it's installed, nVidia/AMD is already working on a new one that beats the crap out of that one. In fact, before they release their new model they're already working on a newer one. They can't just say "Well, it seems GTX600 series is pretty much owning everything now... we should stop working for a year!".

Speaking of being "overpowered" and such, for normal tasks @ 1080p, even a 660Ti will suffice. But... this forum's name is Overclockers right? We like... I mean... We love performance. This forum is not Justwhatweneed-clockers. Plus, there are more things than gaming. Folding / distributed computing for starters.

Why shouldn't AMD act with pride? Should they just say "Hey guys, Intel beats us with their Core processors however they want and we can do nothing, we should go bankrupt". That's not how a business, or life itself works.

PC is still well supported. It may not have such a market share the gaming consoles have, but, hey. It's like if you compared Linux and Windows. Windows has the market share, but Linux is used too. And IMHO, it's a better product than Microsoft's counterpart.

The only thing AMD cares about is dead presidents. Bucks. Dough. Green papers. Dollars. If they're getting a nice beating when they release a CPU, they should focus on something they can shine. APUs look pretty nice for cheap gaming builds. Plus, the low power of those chips, as you said, make them the target for videogame consoles from Nintendo et al.

And, to wrap this up, I hardly think AMD's bane is going to be Radeon. No way. NVIDIA might keep fighting, but so will AMD. Maybe NVIDIA's faster, but AMD will go cheaper, and will find its market, for sure. Or maybe AMD goes "Eureka!" and brings us a real FX offspring.

+1 ^^. (and I have NO clue what he means to say to me up there)

While it would be nice to have a bit longer between releases, we seem to have forgotten that AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are all FOR PROFIT businesses.

ED in the past usualy told that AMD isnt having a chance against Nvidia and that AMD (Radeon) is always having a hard time because of Nvidia (Geforce) and not comparable and what else. In term i did understand it wrong, then exuse me and i will draw it back. As far as i was able to read he was laughing at me (expressing that the stuff i said is hilarious).

Many of the stuff can be read on that topic. We had a discussion and i pretty much got smashed with a knuckle because i said that Radeon is a great brand and what else and people kinda was totaly destroying my good mood. Finally i just feelt like everyone was trying to tell me how superior Nvidia is and i was not even allowed anymore to tell "that Radeon is a good competitor of the Geforce (and is giving Nvidia a hard time)", feelt like i was telling something no one would ever believe and the only one always having hard time is AMD, but never Nvidia.

For me that one sided view is simply out of reality, i never said that Nvidia is weak or what else but i said that Radeon products are great and a hard competitor, and i fully stand behind that opinion (no matter how much knuckles i will get in exchange for that view).

And, to wrap this up, I hardly think AMD's bane is going to be Radeon. No way. NVIDIA might keep fighting, but so will AMD. Maybe NVIDIA's faster, but AMD will go cheaper, and will find its market, for sure. Or maybe AMD goes "Eureka!" and brings us a real FX offspring.

Including APU (its Radeon based technology), a Radeon is inside a major fraction of AMDs products, so of course its very important.

The only thing AMD cares about is dead presidents. Bucks. Dough. Green papers. Dollars. If they're getting a nice beating when they release a CPU, they should focus on something they can shine. APUs look pretty nice for cheap gaming builds.

Strong IGPs such as APUs will have increased demand because the major fraction of the "console port" gamers wont anymore need boundless GPU power because the stuff is getting less and less demanding, in a time of mobile/social/online and console-port gaming where most publisher wont look at PC-only games anymore, unless its some sort of low cost Free to play or Online game with huge subscription (items or account related), because thats how capitalism works. Quantity always beats quality.

Needless to say, a major fraction of casual gamers are happy when theyr game is running at 30 FPS (and in term they are able to save bucks), but for enthusiasts the only stuff making them happy is 60 average FPS. Its same for me, but that doesnt mean that everyone got such a demand, thats the point providing such APUs. APUs and GPUs are a increasing market in a time where most CPU related stuff is Intel dominated (face reality, no one will beat them anymore at raw CPU power).

Regarding bucks, green papers and what else, isnt it the same for 99% of nowadays companys? Its all capitalism based... so im not to surprised. Still, i feel sad for todays world in general that the motivation is 90% monetary related, which is leading to many destructive results. Not using long term view, always just thinking short sighted and right to the next salary spot, creating unlimited risks. When capitalism is attached to material, the greed will be unlimited, and Intel is only holding back so they can provide more "in between upgrades", means the need for new material, thus providing capital, is even bigger doing it. Thats reality and i know about, but almost no one is without guilt as long as they dont take responsibility. However, it seems like human mind cant work properly when there is no capital, because the greed is creating boundless motivation, but it comes at very huge cost (in many terms to huge, its able to break the whole system* or very crucial parts of a existing system**). So, sometimes have to reduce the greed in order to implement another layer of motivation. Such a motivation is for example done at "crowd funding", in that term the motivation is "raw advancement" and prehaps some goodies but thats not nearly worth those bucks.

*We know what i mean
**For example high end gaming area for PC.
PC is still well supported. It may not have such a market share the gaming consoles have.
Ah yes? Tell me all the PC only games (no console ports) and then tell me the "rating" of those games (C, B, A, AA, AAA) in term of technology used (compared to what a PC is capable of). ;)

Last edited:
Wow, Ivy, read the link and our conversation didnt remotely go that way.. In fact here is quote from one of my posts that shows exactly my perception on the market:
Earthdog said:
I wouldnt call it destroyed either, but upon release, AMD didnt win in anything overall, not in performance (a game here or there perhaps), power consumption, noise, and especially price (nothing like paying $100 more for less performance, more noise, and power consumption). It took two dramatic price drops plus 8 months of driver improvements by AMD since the 7970 release to make it a valid choice over Nvidia cards today.
I recommend AMD cards for the most part since that driver release really since they are, in some areas cheaper with similar performance.

I did get some humor out of your post, but it wasnt for the reasons you seemed to have picked out. In fact you said...:
Ivy said:
Its Radeon. Neither AMD nor ATI is of big value but the name Radeon is something which is giving Nvidia a cold shiver as soon as they hear it.
To which I laughed as Nvidia isnt 'shivering' about AMD (shivering implied to me they are scared of AMD). Nobody disagreed with you that AMD has solid products out. Im not sure what you are carrying on about but I suggest perhaps getting a different translator as things just are not matching up it seems on both sides of the coin.

Last edited:
I wanted to boast a little, im not allowed anymore? To me, AMD means nothing, Radeon means something... its as easy as that.

Im not making comments about the translator thing, its hilarious. As long as i do not live in the US i will never be able to fully attach to the shape, but to some extend it would be nice when others are trying to move a little toward a different direction aswell. I mean i dont care really, as long as i do understand, fine for me (unfortunately thats the case).

Last edited:
That's you though, not necessarily Nvidia, the average consumer or the stock market.

I wanted to boast a little, im not allowed anymore?

No, boasting isn't going to make you very well liked anywhere in life. ;)

The fact that you made such a big deal out of a brand name is something that many in that thread saw to be sort of ridiculous and rather humorous. Throughout multiple threads all over these forums, you have a tendency to make a big deal out of something pretty insignificant.

Back