• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD6850 resets in the middle of games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptm

Registered
This has been fun...

Recently, about a month ago, my video card started to act up. About when WoW released the patch for the new talent trees, if anyone else plays.
I am assuming it's my video card.

I do not have onboard sound or video installed on mobo, and i have HDMI not installed on HD6850.

Anyway, I only play WoW - no time for other games and use MS Office and Photo / Web stuff.

I noticed that within about 20 minutes of playing WoW that the screens would go black and would restart. The computer itself isnt restarting though, im still hooked to the servers and i can still here the fighting, and my own damage i am causing.

I thought it might be drivers, though i have had 11.12 for quite some time.
The card is almost a year old.
I installed 12.6 - still had issues.

Thought maybe heat, opened up case - removed everything - blew it all out and reinstalled. still had issues.

I thought - ok maybe its software of some sort.
I took out my back up drive from where everything DOES work, and cloned it over to the SSD.

Still having issues. Sigh.

The issue, screens go black and card resets does not happen any other time, except when I am playing WoW and been playing for roughly 20 minutes. After the first time, it could happen again as soon as 5 minutes or as long as another 20 minutes. In the beginning when this happened it would happen once and I would be good to go for the rest of the night. what causes me to think card is that it is becoming more frequent, maybe 3 or 4 times a session instead of once. A session would be 3-5 hours long.

I do not have anything over clocked.
I originally thought it would be cool to do that, but really I just want reliable, and besides since I only play WoW not worth it to overclock.

Any Ideas?
TIA
Paul

Thought my system info would show:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
P8Z68 Del / Gen 3
i5 2500K + Cooler Master Hyper 212
16gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133
Gigabyte HD6850
PSU- Corsair HX750W
HDD WD 640gb - pics and files and such
SSD M4 128gb - OS & Wow
Creative Xfi-Titanium Fatality
3 monitors - NOT running Eyefinity, i like other screens for spreadsheets and vent, and stuff.

Last edited:
Download an app like GPUz and set it to "Log to file"

That creates a csv style text file you can open up in Excel and check all the temps / voltages etc at the moment of the blackouts.

Hopefully it will give some kinda indication as to whats up.

I downloaded the Asus one :) and set the log file.
Hopefully it will be able to tell me something tonight when I have a moment to "play".

Thank you

Interesting....
This happened again over the weekend and I noticed my printer flickered off and on.
I went and got a new APC UPS unit and it appears that this has fixed my issue.
I guess they are not designed to last 8 years and be flooded once... Lol
Actually I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has.
I have not reset the dx11 in the game - hoping to have time to find out this weekend.

Back