• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing max WU download

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eroc

Running out of WUs? Waiting for slow downloads 2 at a time with another 50
just waiting to start downloading? Well, wait no more!

I stumbled upon this nice little option in the cc_config.xml file. Don't
have one?

There are 2 ways to get a cc_config.xml file.

1) Create one with note pad.

Open Notepad; File->Save As, change "Save as Type" to "all files", name the file "cc_config.xml", and save it to your BOINC data directory. For Vista and Win7, this location is "C:/ProgramData/BOINC".

Copy/paste the following code in the cc_config file you created above:

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
[ ... ]
</log_flags>
<options>
[ ... ]
</options>
</cc_config>

In place of the brackets, put in whatever option tags that you need.

Here are the many option tags and how the spacing is supposed to be. (I was unable to replicate here in this post).

The one we are focused on here is under <options> as follows (you can just copy/paste this!!):

<cc_config>
<options>
<max_file_xfers>8</max_file_xfers>
<max_file_xfers_per_project>2</max_file_xfers_per_project>

I have listed the default settings, but you can change them to whatever. I did 10 for both as I only do Seti. With the settings shown above you can have up to 4 projects each downloading 2 units at a time. If you only run Seti, setting these to 10 will allow 10 DLs at a time. If you make the second line 10 but fail to change the first line then it will only allow 8 as it seems to supercede the second line.

2) The alternative way to create a config file is this:

Simply go to BOINC settings->Exclusive applications tab; Click add and find any executable program you want. When this selected program runs it will auto suspend Seti. This is great if you want to play a game or games and don't want to have to snooze/close Seti and remember to reopen it after you quit playing!(I have done this many times :bang head). Make sure it is the actual exe of the program. If you are not sure open the program and use task manager to find the actual exe and go to it's location and select it.

What does this do?

It automatically creates, or, adds to an existing config file if you already had one, the cc_config.xml file for you with all of the syntax for you with the standard defaults!

The file should save to "C:/ProgramData/BOINC"

Find "cc_config.xml" right click->edit

Now all you have to do is find the correct line (as shown above) and change a couple of numbers without actually typing out the syntax!

You can use this trick even if you don't want to have an exclusive app. You can go back into the exclusive apps tab and delete the app you put in there. (It's ok you aren't actually deleting anything, just a rule in BOINC).

There are a number of other options in this file that I do not even know what they do so leave them alone. If in doubt, make a copy of this file before you go editing it so you don't do something you didn't want to do. You can always delete it, too, and create a new one if need be, so it is not the end of the world.

Now enjoy multiple speedy downloads!

Last edited:
Any time. Glad to help. If anyone has any questions or other ideas let me know.

I'm going to bump this as it may still come in handy for those who do not know about this option.

appreciate the info. the tip on suspending while gaming etc is a great one. :thup:

i disagree on increasing the connections to 10 though. if Berkeley is having
trouble with 2 connections, 10 is just going to compound the problem.
i set mine to 1 connection per project as not to hammer the servers.
also run Einstein@Home for our team when i have no SETI WU's like right now.

appreciate the tips but, but i suggest keeping them at 2, or lowering to 1.

Last edited:
I tend to notice that certain units have issues. I'll download 8 units at over 100k and 2 units that were slow. So it would seem Berkeley was doing fine except for some wus. I would not go over 10 though. That would be excessive.

Back