• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman 9500 breakdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, it had been awhile (too long) since I cleaned the rig. However, it was the plating that flaked off...aluminum underneath. And I mean it ALL came off. I could run my thumb over the fins and it looked like someone was throwing confetti.

I live in Hawaii, so that's near the ocean, and that would be my best guess as to why this happened. (Over here, everything that can rust or tarnish, does.) The reason I submitted this was to see if this ever happened to anyone else.

I have a few copper items around the house. Natch, it's all tarnished, but nothing has ever flaked off. Must be the corrosion worked its way through the thin plating.

I have no complaint with Zalman. The unit was just fine, and lasted past the warranty period, although it might still be going but for the corrosion. No biggie, and thanks for your attention.

cousinmarvin

Hawaii meaning North beach or Wahiwa?

I grew up in Wahiwa/Mililani, not too much salt air there.

Anyhoo, just time to upgrade, might of got a bad plating unit. Odd, never seen it before.

Hi, Conundrum,

I lived in Maunawili for 25 years and now live on the Honolulu side in Aina Haina. Small world...Aloha! ;-)

Yep, I upgraded the heatsink immediately, of course, and have rebuilt from mobo up since then.

Kapahulukaimukiwaianae!!! 8-D

cuz

Back