• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some feedback on this card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoomer

I'm looking to pick up a card that has support for a full cover water block and am looking at an XFX Black Edition 7950. I'll be running this in Crossfire and water cooling both cards. My reasoning for settling on this board is that it comes with a mild factory OC at 900MHz, comes from a vendor that gets good reviews, the card itself has gotten good reviews, and at $315 at newegg the price is right.

If you've got this card please let me know what you think of it. I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks much,
Mike

Must buy something today...fingers are beginning to atrophy. If I don't push the buy button soon I may not be able to later.

Don't know that card, so it might be fine... or I do have the ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II and it is fine.

Still putting everything together and rebuilding my 4 TB RAID 0+1 (2 days into the migrations and 9 hours or so to go), so I don't have a full system to test with yet. But, I did a bit of stress testing the DCU2 on custom water loop, and it's fully stable now at max MSI Afterburner settings (1125/1575) @ 1.3 vcore. Running MSI's Kombuster, before the water cooling I was seeing up in the mid 70C range, now most it hits is 42C. So, once I have my full system up, I'll install the modded GPU Tweak ( http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7315010&postcount=82 ), kindly uploaded by hokie and give some real overclocking a try.

-Rodger

Last edited:
I'm running 3 rigs with dual 7970's in each. They are all XFX Double D 7970's. Not a single ounce of problems out of them.

Revisiting this because I still haven't bought a new card and Asus has suddenly dropped a couple cards that are awesome and got me to wondering. From a performance standpoint for the average user, who doesn't want to OC a card, what is the difference between an HD 7950 running at 900 and an HD 7970 running at 925. Taking that a step further, either of those cards running against a 7970 at 1050MHz. I still have the same basic requirements. I want to run these cards in Crossfire on water, but I won't be overclocking them.

Mike

Back