• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 6790 :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neymar

Having massive problems with this pc i bought.

IT CONTAINS:

•INTEL QUAD CORE Q6600 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR. 4 CORE PROCESSING.
•1GB XFX RADEON HD 6790 GDDR5 GAMING GRAPHICS CARD WITH MULTI MONITOR OUT PUT - 2 X DISPLAY PORT - 1 X HDMI - 2 X DVI
•4GB DDR2 800MHZ GEIL PERFORMANCE RAM
•ASUS P5Q EM 775 MOTHERBOARD WITH ONBOARD HIGH DEFINITION HDMI DVI OUTPUTS
•128GB OCZ SOLID 3 SSD DRIVE
•1TB SATA 7200RPM HARD DRIVE
•FRESH GENUINE WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT SP1
•750W PSU
•22X SAMSUNG SATA DVDRW DRIVE

The bios shows the 2 hhd, and boots up withwindows 7 on the SSD. but when i go into system properties it only shows the ssd , doesnt show the other 1.

Buuuuuuuuuut...the main problem im having is with the gpu. It boots up asap but it black screens anything from 1 min to 4 mins.
Its apparnt that this is a common fault and all i need to do is disable the hardware accelerator but this option is greyed out,

ive updated the driver
ive switched the theme to windows basic..from the aero theme.
ive tried to edit settings within adobe but i cant find it in my c:/ drive but under the remove programs in control panel its there to br removed.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease can someone help.... im a bit of a noob with pc's!:rolleyes:

The HDDs are probably not formated yet, so they wont show up. They need to be formated first.

Just use the search box [Search programs and files] and insert "Computer Management". Then you will get a new window where you can format all HDDs by clicking on the "Disc Management". Then simply click the volume of the affected HDD (the huge field) and select "format", the other stuff should be self explaining, not a big deal.

Regarding the black screen, thats indeed hard to guess. 1 to 4 min is a very quick interval and you did nothing at all? There is probably a memory issue because its very unlikely for the GPU to crash at such quick intervals without any load at all. To some extend it could be pad power supply, i dunno. But its not very common for a GPU to behave like that. Just because you see a black screen doesnt automatically mean that the GPU is at fault, it can be caused by many other hardware componnents aswell.

Anyway, in such terms, i would usualy underclock a GPU, losen RAM timings, and install OS at one of your HDDs. In term it will be stable after, i would track down the issue by enabling more stressfull settings to the parts: Tighten RAM timing and frequency and higher GPU clocks (one after another, not both at once). In term its still stable have to add the SSD (install OS there) and in term it will crash, culprit found.

The easyest way to find out is to test out the parts on another machine, and check out if it works but you probably only got a single system, so it wont work as easy as that.

Last edited:
I've just noticed that the fan on the psu doesn't spin and I've tried 2psu's and both power the pc but no fan movement

If they are both quality 750W units that should be the case. Your system is pulling nothing near that amount of power.

The GPU fan is working properly right?! (GPU not PSU).

PSU fan doesnt spin? That depends on the type of the PSU, many PSU fans will not spin at low load, so its not necessarely defective. A 750 W PSU may only spin at 200 W and above but your system is lower than 200 W in idle. Its not a problem in usual because the PSU got a temp sensor and it wont spin in term its way to cold.

Back