• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps with H80 cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scrub206

Hello! so i reapplied my thermal paste because i was cleaning it out and i thought i could get lower temps if i reseated (re-sat? idk which is correct. might be neither.) my cooling block. So i was sitting at 32-38c at idle and now im a little bit higher, roughly 35-42. So im in the middle of running Prime95 and im in the range of 67-75... my CPU is a 2600k OC'd to 4.4GHz with 1.30v (dont remember exact number *ill update in a bit). My CPU is on medium fan settings aswell.

1. Are these temps a bit high?
2. Should I be testing with max fan settings?
- Chances are ill change it to low for when i use the PC. i wont ever be under 100% load :|

Also I did switch thermal pasts from AS5 to MX-2.

*will update with SS when done. just figured id ask while waiting.

Edit:
1. were up to 70-77c

Last edited:
I just feel most other people get better temps with their H80s then again not ALL products are exactly the same. also room temps vary aswell.

My pc isnt a 24/7 rig. i shut it down fully when im asleep and at work.

So i ran Prime95 for an hour, which i feel is fine. but temps seem a little high. also temps seem to be jumping drastically when opening things. ill be at 40c and i open say chrome itll jump to 60c then back down? never noticed this before but is that normal?

heres what i had:

Attachments

• PC temps 101912.png
    PC temps 101912.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 66
Temp jump is normal due to the large amount of cores. Many used for a millisecond, then most of them shut down.

The temps at that overclock on a 120x1 rad isn't bad.

Temps don't sound bad. The TIM may want a little "burn in" to seat properly. You can always clean off the application of TIM and re-do, take a mulligan.

What are your ambient temps like ? Might want to check your mount one more time, I'm at 22c ambients and just did a quick run to compare.

pk-2 thermal paste and speed set to 3 with quiet fans

h80temps.JPG

Im going to give it a week or so. and see how it looks then. but its October in New Jersey and the heat is not on in my part of the house. so at night my room will be roughly 65 degrees with out my PC on.

dev, what fans are you using?

Im assuming those are going to be like night and day compared to the stock 120mm fans that come with the H80..?

stock fans max out at 39dba and 92cfm.

the magmas max out at 18dba and 69cfm.

remember every 10dba you go up is like doubling the volume percieved by human ears.

No, night and day is some 5000 RPM 38mm thick fans in push/pull. Then you have night and day, and lotsa fun noise.

It's just a 120x1 rad on a hot processor. Physics, it ain't magic because it's got water/antifreze in it..

Case airflow helps, as getting a good processor, as great thermal patse appication etc etc. Ambient room temps help.
The H80 has a pretty high RMA rate also. Your pump could be weak.

The H80 is as good as a trouble free top air cooler for cooling.

Good overclocking can help, knowing when to drop voltages and just say, "that's my final answer, I'm done" is a possible solution too.

Back