• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

set seti to switch CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

im trying to figure out how i can get seti to change CPUs after 24 hours.

i want to do this because i found out (from christian crew), that running the CPUs at full load for more than maybe a month isnt a good idea. it actually degrades hardware.

so i wanted to set seti to run on 1 cpu and then change the to other after 24 hours.

can this be done? is there any other way i can set this to where it wont kill my server? and would i have to upgrade my server to avoid any negative effects it may be leaving on the P3?

I have servers which i've been running seti on for 6+ years. As long as you are using good hardware and keeping your fans clean every few months you should be fine.

If you can get 6+ years out of a server than you're doing good

Yeah. I hear all the same about OCing cpus. "It will shave off years off of a CPU," they say. Well, a cpu has like 20 year lifespan at stock. Even if your cpu only lasts 10 years that is still wayyy past time to upgrade anyway :D

I have also run 24-7 oc'd comps for a long time with no undue failures.

As long as your CPU temps stay below 60C (for Intel CPU's) you'll never hurt them. However, you can adjust BOINC to to use fewer cores with multicore CPU's which I often do in hot weather to reduce the heat.

Back