Best software firewall protection?

well i currently use ZA pro. while im posting this i think ill install my firewall (dont wanna get screwed like Bigred )
    what Firewall do you guys use?
    and do anyone here take extra meaures to be safe?

i know Skip uses a *nix client, so im sure hes hacked the server to be safe.

I just use winXP's, i know zonealarm is much better, but im to lazy to install it. i used to use ZA with win2k, i like how u set what proggies can and cant acess the net, that was cool
    -Malakai

Originally posted by Malakai
    I just use winXP's, i know zonealarm is much better, but im to lazy to install it. i used to use ZA with win2k, i like how u set what proggies can and cant acess the net, that was cool
    -Malakai
    well From TSS i hear XP's firewall blows as nasty as my Cats fuzz balls..
    Well anyways, i wanna be Stealth! hehe

i use Zone Alarm pro (like the setting of access) and also Blackice Defender.
    both together form a good firewall
    and hackers cant use exploits in either program

actually, grc.com gave the XP firewall a good (?) review...it does a good job of blocking inbound traffic (hackers)...it lets everyting through outbound from you comp, though

Originally posted by takiwa
    actually, grc.com gave the XP firewall a good (?) review...it does a good job of blocking inbound traffic (hackers)...it lets everyting through outbound from you comp, though
    oh well then maybe TSS was wrong, cuz GRC owns..
    you guys gotta get grc's xp tools.. theres 2 of them, that disables the raw ports, and universile plug and play.

Unoriginal Macho Moderator nikhsub1's Avatar
    I'm using Norton Personal Firewall and like it very much. Just yesterday I had a hacker trying to get into my puter NPF stopped it and notified me, I traced his IP addy to NJ and called his ISP. Sheesh...
    Loading Signature ...

the real xtremesys admin in exile jbell's Avatar
    zone alarm pro 2.6 is awesome for me!

Originally posted by lonewolf1983
    i use Zone Alarm pro (like the setting of access) and also Blackice Defender.
    both together form a good firewall
    and hackers cant use exploits in either program
    You should be careful about making statements like that. Read this about Blackice Defender: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...1468index.html

Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior Wicked Klown's Avatar
    I use Norton`s Firewall and love it.
    Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus

A hardware firewall is the way to go if you have always on internet. Software firewalls are best pared with a dial up connection. The best firewall software I have seen is the Norton Personal Firewall. It is far superior to ZoneAlarm in terms for security and useability. The only downside is that it tends to be for more advanced users.

I use Norton and ZA and they play well together. The only prob I had was having to reallow all the progs from Norton to access the net through ZA. That took a while since I've had Norton for a couple of months now.

I have a SMC Barricade router with a built in firewall. the manual doesn't explain how to use it in Laymen's terms, ie. begginers terms. I've never used one but I heard that they far exceed prog firewalls. I also tried the website, but it says the same thing. FYI:I have a cable modem. Anyone have suggestions on how to set it up.

I use W2K firewall, a Linksys Firewall / DSL Router, AND installed ZoneAlarm. You would assume one would be enough, 2 would be great, and 3 would be insane, but I still get ZoneAlarm catching fools getting through the first two layers of defense.

I used to work at a digital security company, and the hackers there can get around these simple systems if they really worked at it. Basically they say using 2 similar firewalls is almost useless, you are limited to the weakest defense of the two.

I have NEVER had a hack on my computer, but I get plenty of subseven port sniffer requests per day that are stopped by my third defense (ZoneAlarm). These requests are from average hackers, and are easy to stop.

Best way to protect yourself is with active AND passive measures to shore up your computer's defense. Configure the firewall for all programs, stop all unneeded port traffic, make good passwords (don't save them to disk), eliminate unneeded user accounts, use encryption when given the option, and DEFINITELY use a virus scanner at all times. Then when all is said and done, try testing it to see if JoeAverageHacker can get in (programs that test this are simple to find, just look on google).

If you eliminate all the easy access points, you can forget the average hack. This will leave your system pretty well defended. If you still get hacked, then you either have a trojan, or a world-class hacker got in. If a world-class hacker wants to get in, not much you can do in reality. The harder it is to get in, the more fingerprints they leave, allowing you to catch them a little more easily.

For those computers on 24/7 connected to the internet via broadband, you should use 2 firewalls. A hardware firewall (like a linksys dsl router / firewall, AND one of the many firewall programs out there. The programs all serve the same purpose, basically the one you like is the one you should get. I would prefer the one with the most updates

Hope this helps... sorry it turned into a novel.

Thanks for the very helpful and informative novel. I use a Linksys router, Zone Alarm (free) and Norton Personal Firewall. Neither firwall reports any hack attempts, just my cable modem service once every few hours. Feels pretty secure.
    PC1 26% O/C - Quad Q6600 3.24 GHz - 8GB RAM - Win 7 x64
    PC2 Stock - Quad X3440 Xeon 2.53 GHz - 8GB RAM - Win 7 x64

It is impossible to rightly govern these forums when there are rulebreakers. Religion is not allowed here. Thank you. --JoT

"breakin' the law - breakin' the law"