• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software firewall protection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

well i currently use ZA pro. while im posting this i think ill install my firewall (dont wanna get screwed like Bigred :( )
what Firewall do you guys use?
and do anyone here take extra meaures to be safe?

i know Skip uses a *nix client, so im sure hes hacked the server to be safe. :)

I just use winXP's, i know zonealarm is much better, but im to lazy to install it. i used to use ZA with win2k, i like how u set what proggies can and cant acess the net, that was cool
-Malakai

Malakai said:
I just use winXP's, i know zonealarm is much better, but im to lazy to install it. i used to use ZA with win2k, i like how u set what proggies can and cant acess the net, that was cool
-Malakai

well From TSS i hear XP's firewall blows as nasty as my Cats fuzz balls..
Well anyways, i wanna be Stealth! hehe

i use Zone Alarm pro (like the setting of access) and also Blackice Defender.
both together form a good firewall
and hackers cant use exploits in either program

actually, grc.com gave the XP firewall a good (?) review...it does a good job of blocking inbound traffic (hackers)...it lets everyting through outbound from you comp, though

takiwa said:
actually, grc.com gave the XP firewall a good (?) review...it does a good job of blocking inbound traffic (hackers)...it lets everyting through outbound from you comp, though

oh well then maybe TSS was wrong, cuz GRC owns..
you guys gotta get grc's xp tools.. theres 2 of them, that disables the raw ports, and universile plug and play.

I'm using Norton Personal Firewall and like it very much. Just yesterday I had a hacker trying to get into my puter:mad: NPF stopped it and notified me, I traced his IP addy to NJ and called his ISP. Sheesh...

A hardware firewall is the way to go if you have always on internet. Software firewalls are best pared with a dial up connection. The best firewall software I have seen is the Norton Personal Firewall. It is far superior to ZoneAlarm in terms for security and useability. The only downside is that it tends to be for more advanced users.

I use Norton and ZA and they play well together. The only prob I had was having to reallow all the progs from Norton to access the net through ZA. That took a while since I've had Norton for a couple of months now.

I have a SMC Barricade router with a built in firewall. the manual doesn't explain how to use it in Laymen's terms, ie. begginers terms. I've never used one but I heard that they far exceed prog firewalls. I also tried the website, but it says the same thing. FYI:I have a cable modem. Anyone have suggestions on how to set it up.

I use W2K firewall, a Linksys Firewall / DSL Router, AND installed ZoneAlarm. You would assume one would be enough, 2 would be great, and 3 would be insane, but I still get ZoneAlarm catching fools getting through the first two layers of defense.

I used to work at a digital security company, and the hackers there can get around these simple systems if they really worked at it. Basically they say using 2 similar firewalls is almost useless, you are limited to the weakest defense of the two.

I have NEVER had a hack on my computer, but I get plenty of subseven port sniffer requests per day that are stopped by my third defense (ZoneAlarm). These requests are from average hackers, and are easy to stop.

Best way to protect yourself is with active AND passive measures to shore up your computer's defense. Configure the firewall for all programs, stop all unneeded port traffic, make good passwords (don't save them to disk), eliminate unneeded user accounts, use encryption when given the option, and DEFINITELY use a virus scanner at all times. Then when all is said and done, try testing it to see if JoeAverageHacker can get in (programs that test this are simple to find, just look on google).

If you eliminate all the easy access points, you can forget the average hack. This will leave your system pretty well defended. If you still get hacked, then you either have a trojan, or a world-class hacker got in. If a world-class hacker wants to get in, not much you can do in reality. The harder it is to get in, the more fingerprints they leave, allowing you to catch them a little more easily.

For those computers on 24/7 connected to the internet via broadband, you should use 2 firewalls. A hardware firewall (like a linksys dsl router / firewall, AND one of the many firewall programs out there. The programs all serve the same purpose, basically the one you like is the one you should get. I would prefer the one with the most updates :D

Hope this helps... sorry it turned into a novel.

Thanks for the very helpful and informative novel. I use a Linksys router, Zone Alarm (free) and Norton Personal Firewall. Neither firwall reports any hack attempts, just my cable modem service once every few hours. Feels pretty secure. :)

Back