• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 stock cooler or Phenom stock cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJ White

Registered
Hi,

I have an athlon 64 X2 5600+ and I am currently using a stock phenom heatsink, now my temps, when overclocked to 3.0GHz, start to enter the 60 degree range, and on top of that the cooler is very loud (jet engine loud). I opted for the phenom cooler because it looked better, with the heatpipes and all, than the athlon stock cooler. However I know looks can be deceaving, is this the case?

Is the Athlon 64 cooler better/worse than the Phenom cooler?

And how could I silence/improve either one of these coolers?

Athlon cooler

Phenom cooler

The Athlon 64 cooler you pictured is going to be worse than the pictured Phenom one.

Is the fan going full speed all of the time? If so, can you limit it in your BIOS? I didn't find that cooler to be loud at all.

I've got a Opteron stock cooler which looks like the Phenom cooler on a Phenom II X4 925. Works great and it's dead silent. My phenom is clocked to 3.0Ghz with stock voltage and under load temps does not exceed 42c.

The Athlon 64 cooler you pictured is going to be worse than the pictured Phenom one.

Is the fan going full speed all of the time? If so, can you limit it in your BIOS? I didn't find that cooler to be loud at all.

No, I can set it to silent but that would make my temps go up like crazy, I set it to optimal which makes it ramp up when the temp increases. I could re-apply the thermal paste, perhaps that would help...

What kind of temps are safe for an athlon 64?

Back