• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using a RAMDISK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In that case, I doubt if they will ever optimize the write out of data for ext4. They'll just wait and optimize it for butter fs. If it's the popular file system.

btrfs still have a long way to go. It's original timeline was in 2009. Development is quite active, and it's really a revolutionary filesystem. However it's missing the #1 most important thing, a proper fsck tool. If you loose power in the middle of a write, it's quite likely you're partition is toast. Recently in the last 6 months there have been some tools released to help this, but no proper fsck tool.

The issue with ext4 was in a bug fix. I can look up the exacts if someone wants. A few years ago it was discovered that ext4 wasn't properly locking the cache. That was fixed, and that is that fix is what caused fah write times to sky rocket.

btrfs still have a long way to go. It's original timeline was in 2009. Development is quite active, and it's really a revolutionary filesystem. However it's missing the #1 most important thing, a proper fsck tool. If you loose power in the middle of a write, it's quite likely you're partition is toast. Recently in the last 6 months there have been some tools released to help this, but no proper fsck tool.

The issue with ext4 was in a bug fix. I can look up the exacts if someone wants. A few years ago it was discovered that ext4 wasn't properly locking the cache. That was fixed, and that is that fix is what caused fah write times to sky rocket.

I used a RAMDISK in Windows that had a feature where you could set a timed backup to the HD - in case of a crash or power failure.

Do RAMDISKS in Linux have that option? I'd hate to lose a full 24 hours of folding a bigadv wu, just because of a power outage! :bang head

I used a RAMDISK in Windows that had a feature where you could set a timed backup to the HD - in case of a crash or power failure.

Do RAMDISKS in Linux have that option? I'd hate to lose a full 24 hours of folding a bigadv wu, just because of a power outage! :bang head

Yup that is what the cron job does. You can set a command to run as frequently as once per minute. In this case it would be the same rsync command I used for when the computer shuts down. The way I have rsync setup it will only do an incremental copy so only the files that have changed or been deleted will be affected on disk.

Back