• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Ports on laptop loose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i have a HP mini 210 1010NR netbook with usb ports that dont seem to like my Netgear Wireless-N 300 usb adapter. its new, just two weeks old, and was working fine in my netbook just yesterday.

also, wireless g is too low in my room so i have to use wireless N now.

anywlan, if i put the netgear adapter in my desktop, it feels firm in the port, and works just fine.

but the netbook keeps saying that the usb device has malfunctioned. soooo

what should i do at this point? currently im re installing drivers for it. other usb devices seem to work just fine.

EDIT: i also noticed that windows show a message saying "this device would work faster in a usb 2.0 port". i guess usb ports are malfunctioning already?

Unlikely a physical problem. Does this USB adapter work on other systems? This could easily be drivers for the wireless device or the chipset/USB controller.

Unlikely a physical problem. Does this USB adapter work on other systems? This could easily be drivers for the wireless device or the chipset/USB controller.

works perfectly fine on other computers. just by moving the device in the port (like wiggling) makes windows get picky about it

What about other USB ports on the same laptop? That sounds like there is a USB board that has come loose.

You mentioned that it was solid in the USB port, but now it moves? Reading comprehension works wonders. That was your desktop.

What about other USB ports on the same laptop? That sounds like there is a USB board that has come loose.

You mentioned that it was solid in the USB port, but now it moves?

what im saying here is that its loose on every port. it sometims works fine and then goes a bit haywaire.

on other desktops it works perfectly fine. i tried the same thing with a flash drive and it seems to work just fine even when wiggling.

I edited my post because I read your original message wrong. This could be an issue with that specific laptop. I don't have experience with that brand at all. The ones on my Lenovo certainly are not like that, if that is any comparison.

I edited my post because I read your original message wrong. This could be an issue with that specific laptop. I don't have experience with that brand at all. The ones on my Lenovo certainly are not like that, if that is any comparison.

OH MY GOSH. i need to get a new laptop soon.

so there is no fix for this then? i will buy a new laptop. just need 230 dollars at least. they have some at walmart that are netbooks but with a res thats bigger than 1024x600.

Is this not a new laptop already? Your first post read like it was.

USB ports shouldn't become loose, to the point of malfunction, with use.

Back