• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 vs i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I was wondering what makes the i7 so much better then i5

I rarely get beat in loading league of legends but yesterday I had someone beat me by a bit and today someone just spanked me. Both of them were i7 with a hdd and i'm an oc i5 3570k with a ssd. The one today was a 2700k at stock speeds. Both had 16g of ram vs my 8g but I don't think total ram size makes any difference.

So what is it that makes them so much faster? is it cache?

what else could have made them faster? maybe faster ram? mine is value ram.

Generally the only thing that could be impacting it would be hard drive speed. Maybe network speed or latency? It doesn't make sense for the mechanical HDD to be faster.

I7 vs I5 there is not much difference unless LoL uses hyperthreading (which I don't think does)

For gaming the i7 vs i5 thing doesnt seem to matter much, especially in the ivy bridge line. If you can overcolck it, they're pretty similar, just a marketing scheme from intel.

i3 = lower end consumer, but higher than Celeron, Pentium or Atom, i5 = Middle Consumer, good for most people, i7 = High Consumer, branded as being "For gamers". Xeon = Small/Medium Business server procs, Itanium = Enterprise

For gaming the i7 vs i5 thing doesnt seem to matter much, especially in the ivy bridge line. If you can overcolck it, they're pretty similar, just a marketing scheme from intel.

i3 = lower end consumer, but higher than Celeron, Pentium or Atom, i5 = Middle Consumer, good for most people, i7 = High Consumer, branded as being "For gamers". Xeon = Small/Medium Business server procs, Itanium = Enterprise

i7's have hyperthreading, which give them 4 cores and 8 threads so programs can share cores / give more threads for calculations, its not much of a marketing gimmick.

but for gaming it has been proved they perform very similarly. for other purposes the i7's are quite a bit faster.

Sure it is, everyone thinks all of those threads will help them with gaming when most times it wont

well I don't get how these guys loaded faster then me when i'm overclocked and on a ssd. I didn't think that network mattered but maybe it does.

if your latency to the server was much higher then theirs then yes network does. there are just so many what if's about the network, how many hops to the server from you. how the rest of the network between you and the server is doing as far as load, ect.

lol it doesnt matter who loads first in lol because it wont start until everyone is loaded anywho :p

:)

Yeah, I know, I was just messing around. Sorry :(

Lol np, i just like having an uber fast pc and yeah it doesnt matter if your fastest or slowest but i get a kick out of being faster then everyone else

plus it really bothers me that someone with a hdd is beating me

Do not wish to rub salt into you wounds, but i love my i7-2700k the K is for Kick-A?s Bro. They are the best CPU Chips specially selected for there high value when in testing etc. :p:clap:

also i think that if they just played on the map then it will be cached in the memory still, so it doesnt take them as long to load, i know sometimes it literally takes me like 3 seconds to load instead of like 10sec

I say that there 2500K they are pretty slick, maybe i am old fashion here the 2500/2600/2700k series was and still is a sold piece of CPU kit lol. Also they do tend to run a lot cooler than the new ones.

also i think that if they just played on the map then it will be cached in the memory still, so it doesnt take them as long to load, i know sometimes it literally takes me like 3 seconds to load instead of like 10sec

I've never played league of legends, but I can attest to this in BF3. First load of a map is ~3x slower than when the same map gets loaded again.

Never really thought about it, but I suppose it does give a team a slight advantage to load in first with that initial point rush in conquest.

I say that there 2500K they are pretty slick, maybe i am old fashion here the 2500/2600/2700k series was and still is a sold piece of CPU kit lol. Also they do tend to run a lot cooler than the new ones.

The 2500 is a fine chip, basically my favorite intel part suggestion for mid to upper ranged gamers.

I'm an i7 boy on my top end machine, but I do some sequencing and VMs, the extra core count on my 3930K is actually pretty necessary for some things I do. For 95% of the world, a moderate OC on an i5 is plenty of power.

Last edited:
I have a basic regular old HDD, and a phenom 2 x4 at 3.4 stock clock. I KILL almost everyone loading that game. Its all in my 9ms latency and 23mbps download speed.

I think the network speeds have most to do with your loading. I'll be interested to see if my new rig changes the load times at all, but doubt it.

I have a basic regular old HDD, and a phenom 2 x4 at 3.4 stock clock. I KILL almost everyone loading that game. Its all in my 9ms latency and 23mbps download speed.

I think the network speeds have most to do with your loading. I'll be interested to see if my new rig changes the load times at all, but doubt it.

I wouldn't say its the the biggest factor by any means. I have a server farm line (92 Mbps d / 15Mbps u) and a 7 down / 768 up DSL line. I tested them both for this thread and my loading time was like 502ms faster on the server line, where latency is lower and bandwidth is higher.

I've never seen anybody beat me on load time on either connection, though >=D.

Do not wish to rub salt into you wounds, but i love my i7-2700k the K is for Kick-A?s Bro. They are the best CPU Chips specially selected for there high value when in testing etc. :p:clap:

i7's are not cherry picked CPUs, I've seen plenty of examples of unstable i7s at overclocks that some people can do and others cant.

Back