• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 6Gb, Sapphire only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

After a brief, very brief stop over at nVidia, i am running back to ATi cards, soon as i sell my GTx590, just need to get the bios downgraded.

I want to get myself the right card this time. (The GTx590 was only ment to be a temp to hold me for a few months, but my god i hate so much about nVidia software)

Since i do eyefinity gaming, i want to get a 7970 6Gb, and Sapphire is my only option for this. Since it will still be a few weeks, or a months time till i can buy the 7970 (or should one wait til after xmas?) Are the any indications that others will make a 6Gb 7970 card?

Thats a pretty niche product. At 2GB the 680 can be considered short on ram so 2x density gives 4GB makes sense and is sufficient for demanding games on 3x1440P monitors. At 3Gb its hard to justify the 79xx not having enough vRAM even for 3 screens. Ya theres a few games that can push past that but turning down 1-2 options to get the ram usage isnt that big of an issue considering if you REALLY want to push 3x HD screens on the absolute highest settings you would need more than one card anyways :shrug:

I have honestly considered the 7970 6Gb myself and though I do want more vram than I have for multi monitor 6GB is so far out in unnecessary land that I just dont see it justifying the cost. Which is why most vendors dont make one.

Thats a pretty niche product. At 2GB the 680 can be considered short on ram so 2x density gives 4GB makes sense and is sufficient for demanding games on 3x1440P monitors. At 3Gb its hard to justify the 79xx not having enough vRAM even for 3 screens. Ya theres a few games that can push past that but turning down 1-2 options to get the ram usage isnt that big of an issue considering if you REALLY want to push 3x HD screens on the absolute highest settings you would need more than one card anyways :shrug:

I have honestly considered the 7970 6Gb myself and though I do want more vram than I have for multi monitor 6GB is so far out in unnecessary land that I just dont see it justifying the cost. Which is why most vendors dont make one.

This is true, and i know that i would need another 7970 to get the full, and that would what i would do later on.

The 6Gb choice is mainly down the that fact that i want to play ProjectCARS on eyefinity at its very max, and it is a demanding game, so i want to be on the safe side of my wishes. :thup:

Back