• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions On Closed Loops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Good evening gentlemen!:salute:

I had originally planned on building a custom loop in my rig but I am thinking about going with a closed loop. I know the hardcore WC guys do not like these closed loops and encourage the custom loop but I am just thinking about it do to simplicity and cost.

This Thermaltake has some good reviews and some say is better than the Corsair line up. Opinions?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106189

This CM is apparently new and maybe worth a try. Opinions?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103179

I have seen some unhappy people with the Corsair line up but what do you think?

With my 212 I am getting temps 78*-83* under a AIDA64 load. My Vcore is 1.35v and LLC on auto sets it to 1.25v at 4.6. I don't have any screen shots because right now my PSU is in the mail on RMA. But I took notes and plus I remember. But that is how it's set when stable. I know my temps are fine as long as they are under 90* during the load but I thought I could get them down a bit and it wouldn't hurt. I am happy at this OC I am not looking to push it any further. Thanks:comp:

Well, I loved my old H100 until the pump failed after only about 2 months use. Corsair gave me a brand new unit for a replacement, though I've been running my current Noctua ever since. I'll not deviate from tower type air coolers again.

Well, I loved my old H100 until the pump failed after only about 2 months use. Corsair gave me a brand new unit for a replacement, though I've been running my current Noctua ever since. I'll not deviate from tower type air coolers again.

mjw21a Thanks for your input. That was my take on these style units. But I am interested to hear from other folks.

NZXT just released some 140 and 280 closed loop water setups if you can fit them.

I am thinking nevermind the idea on the closed loop. Seems like they are all garbage. I remember Conundrum saying they were too. He said something like this would work better. But I dont know whether to get a 240 or 360. And can I make it work in my case.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...nd_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310#blank

Or this
http://http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14569/ex-wat-185/Swiftech_H20-220_EDGE_HD_Series_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_-_Black_CPU_Block_Universal_Mount.html?tl=g30c321s818

I've been using my Antec H20 920 for nearly a year now.
It has been on 24/7.
Not a single problem with it.

As with all the closed loops, the fans are mental noisy.
I coughed up for a couple of Akasa silent viper fans.
I dont even know if the pc is powered up without either checking the case LEDs or hitting with a ping.

We had some really cold weather here and the missus had the back door open.
I cranked up the fans to maximum to see how cool i could get liquid temp.
12C while running OCCT on a small data set.
I was gobsmacked!

Been useing my H100 since last christmas, not a single problem to report :salute:

Its much better then my NH D-14 and my Ultra120 Extreme :cool:

I am not useing the stock fans, I am useing 38x120 Panaflo's

that's a much better idea its a few more $$ but you can upgrade it in the future. I always like the simplicity of these http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx I never had one but, I am building a full loop now.
Glad you agree.:bday:

I've been using my Antec H20 920 for nearly a year now.
It has been on 24/7.
Not a single problem with it.

As with all the closed loops, the fans are mental noisy.
I coughed up for a couple of Akasa silent viper fans.
I dont even know if the pc is powered up without either checking the case LEDs or hitting with a ping.

Yes I hear the fans are sub par and the pumps die. Thanks for the input.:thup:

Been useing my H100 since last christmas, not a single problem to report :salute:

Its much better then my NH D-14 and my Ultra120 Extreme :cool:

I am not useing the stock fans, I am useing 38x120 Panaflo's

It seems to be a crap shoot with these units. Some guys get good ones. I hear a lot about a loud strange noise the Corsairs make and then the pump quits. Glad to hear you got a good one. Thanks for your input.:thup:

No problems with my H100 or the Tt Water 2.0. They are as good/slightly better than high end air. Grab the Tt Water 2.0 if you are worried about the pump on the Corsair.

No problems with my H100 or the Tt Water 2.0. They are as good/slightly better than high end air. Grab the Tt Water 2.0 if you are worried about the pump on the Corsair.

Another plus from the Corsair consumers. Glad to hear you got a good one EarthDog. I am glad you told me about the performance. Good/slightly better doesn't sound too enticing. Although I was just looking for maybe 10* difference. Would that be good/slightly? Thanks for your input.:thup:

Another plus from the Corsair consumers. Glad to hear you got a good one EarthDog. I am glad you told me about the performance. Good/slightly better doesn't sound too enticing. Although I was just looking for maybe 10* difference. Would that be good/slightly? Thanks for your input.:thup:

I could see you getting 10* out of an H100 in most scenarios when it comes to max temps in high-end OC'ing..

I have a H100, H80, and a Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer that I recently ventured into.

The H80 is basically the equivilent of your high / top end Air coolers, with a little bit of added complexity and a larger top OC headroom. I'm not sure about the Thermaltake, but it seems to only really become effective when the temps begin to really rise.

I'll swear by my H100, I love that thing! Nothing competes with a custom loop, but these are relatively simple ways to mitigate the heat generation OUT of your case.

Back