• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bricked my 7950, flashing problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i followed this instruction but failed...

- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

Untitled-21.png

i also had "ROM Programming failed"

And you try using the stock bios from the other bios?

Its not bricked when it work, but i think your issue is, the card thinks its a 7970.

Bricked means its 100% useless, yours is still running, why not just run the stock 7950 bios on your second options and then stop touching anything, until you figure a roll back solution for the falshed 7970 bios?

You did try and boot the card up with Bios 1 (let call this 7950) then open winflash, load the 7950 bios backup. Just before you press Flash to bios, while pc is running click the switch to bios 2 (7970), press flash, and then once done (if it works) reboot but leave it in bios 2 position check its back to 7950 bios.

Last edited:
BIOS 1 was the one with error. i backed up the BIOS of BIOS 2 and tried booting on BIOS 2. while on BIOS 2 on the desktop i flipped the switch to BIOS 1 and flash it, that's when the error came.
sorry but i cant understand what you are saying on the last paragraph.. can you rephrase it for me? thanks!

BIOS 1 was the one with error. i backed up the BIOS of BIOS 2 and tried booting on BIOS 2. while on BIOS 2 on the desktop i flipped the switch to BIOS 1 and flash it, that's when the error came.
sorry but i cant understand what you are saying on the last paragraph.. can you rephrase it for me? thanks!

Ok, so your messed up Bios is bios 1 and bios 2 still has 7950 Bios?

Boot up your pc in Bios 2. Open Winflash, and load the 7950 back up bios.

Do not press Program, as this would just program your Bios 2 with the same Bios it has. Now that the backup rom is present, and loaded, flip the switch to Bios 1 on the graphics card, and then press program.

If this is successful, restart and the Bios 1 should be back to 7950, if this is not, then like i said, it seems like it just thinks its a 7970, and thats that.

You can underclock it to match the 7950 if that is the problem.

If all fails, then what i did last time, when i messed up a non ref HD6950 then i installed the GPU into another slot where is had not been before, booted with the messed up bios, then cancelled the drivers install, and managed to flash it back to the original bios, this was before i learnt about flipping while in windows.

Ok, so your messed up Bios is bios 1 and bios 2 still has 7950 Bios?

Boot up your pc in Bios 2. Open Winflash, and load the 7950 back up bios.

Do not press Program, as this would just program your Bios 2 with the same Bios it has. Now that the backup rom is present, and loaded, flip the switch to Bios 1 on the graphics card, and then press program.

If this is successful, restart and the Bios 1 should be back to 7950, if this is not, then like i said, it seems like it just thinks its a 7970, and thats that.

You can underclock it to match the 7950 if that is the problem.

If all fails, then what i did last time, when i messed up a non ref HD6950 then i installed the GPU into another slot where is had not been before, booted with the messed up bios, then cancelled the drivers install, and managed to flash it back to the original bios, this was before i learnt about flipping while in windows.

thanks for this. good thing, BIOS 2 was protected and theres no way to flash it. fixed it, i found the problem. it was a faulty atiwinflash. had to download an older version. and btw, the BIOS2 bios was a good clocker, managed to clock 975 core without touching the voltage...

thanks man!!! :salute::salute::attn::attn: :thup::thup:

Back