• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$90 budget and a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

I'm looking to buy a video card for a friend. My budget is $90. I am currently looking at picking up an MSI GTX460 Hawk for him. He plays Diablo 3 on a single monitor (not sure of resolution, and he would have no clue if I asked him. But it wouldn't be anything crazy, probably lower end. )

Would this be a good buy for him or should I look newer? Thoughts?:popcorn:

Its a good question, personally i would look at GTX650, its newer, but from reviews only around the same performance. Newegg, got a few nice deals on these cards, but if its worth it i dont know, power usage is a lot lower.

Other then that i cant really find anything worth to mention, but im sure others do.

If it doesnt matter, maybe get a better but used card?

This is a used price. I looked at GTX650's but I think this card will beat them when overclocked.

This is a used price. I looked at GTX650's but I think this card will beat them when overclocked.

In that case, yes your right, it may overclock better, but on the other hand, a new card will have warranty, and be new. Who doesnt like to open a new box of hardware :D

if he uses aa/af i do think the new 600's will do better in that regard, ie losing less fps vs the gtx460. i havent seen a review include that card and the closest one it might be is the GTX550 TI. i found it interesting the performance of the 550ti was on par with the GTX650. i think it has to do with the cut down ROP's, the GTX550 ti being 192/32/24 vs GTX650 at 384/32/16. on the plus side the TDP for the GTX650 is only 65watts while still needing a pcie connector vs 114watts on the GTX550 ti. looking at the GTX460 though it is either a 336/32/24 or 336/32/32, while carrying a 150-160watt TDP. going with the newer one on TDP alone looks worth it IMO. performance in games if near the same for the 460 vs 650, it is hard to go with something that old IMO.

I would add that a 460 is a pretty darn capable card though If you decide to go with that Im sure he'll be happy with it.

Back