• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus m5a97 wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosteeddc

so i just bought this new motherboard to work with a extra fx6100 sitting around, i have everything set up on my test bench everything plugged in, when i tried to put the screw driver on the pwr pins to power it on, nothin turns on, just one of the fans connected to the powersupply molex made a lil tiny movement, but the motherboard power led is lite up green, where should i start troubleshooting this?

I would start by unplugging all connections on the power supply and doing the paperclip trick (green wire to any black wire) to see if the power supply turns on. If it does, hook everything back up, make sure it is secure, and try again.

so your saying its the power supply? well i can say for sure its good, only had it for like 2 months, powering my other rig on this test bench thats maybe used once in a week, and was working it before i put this mobo on, any other suggestions?

He said to test the power supply not that it 'was' surely bad.

I would make sure there is no power from power supply to the mobo and then clear the CMOS and then RE-power the board and see if it will boot.

There are only two Leds for troubleshooting on that cheaper mobo and one says if the board has +5V standbye power and the other close to the ram slots are supposed to indicate if the ram is giving problems. So no real set of troubleshooting LEDS.

yes ive done all of that, still no luck, ive had experiences with this board, hated it back then, but bought a brand new one again cause it was cheap. being one of the weird boards without onboard graphics, lets say if the cpu was bad, would it still boot with a bad cpu or no? can anyone answer this?

If you have run the power supply jump test, what happened?

no im sorry i didnt do that, but this power supply was working fine with my other rig, and i tested it with the other one again, still works like it suppose to. i should feel pretty confident with the psu as of now no?

As this board doesn't take advantage of standoffs along the edge it's pretty flexible. Is your memory well-seated?

yes just 1 stick of 4gb vengeance i took out of my main rig, as ive had experience with this board in the past, it'll boot and if memory was not well seated it'll just throw the red led dim for the rams

Bios update ?

CPU QVL / PCB / BIOS ver.
FX-6100(FD6100WMW6KGU),3.3GHz,6C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ / ALL / 0815

Sometime with AMD you need an older already supported CPU to put in the socket, then update bios to latest, then reinstall newest CPU, boot !

Bios update ?

CPU QVL / PCB / BIOS ver.
FX-6100(FD6100WMW6KGU),3.3GHz,6C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ / ALL / 0815

Sometime with AMD you need an older already supported CPU to put in the socket, then update bios to latest, then reinstall newest CPU, boot !

You beat met to it.

well ive had this fx6100 paired with the same mobo before and worked like a charm, but i guess its different for every one then? so now id have to get my hands on a older amd cpu......

what bios version do you have, we can go look at the asus site and see if you have the one you need.
It looks like you need 810 or above.

From previous experiences I've only ever seen lack of BIOS support result in failure to POST not failure to remain on but who knows :D.

well it wont boot, so i cant even see which bio its got, but ive had this same exact board before with this cpu.. argh, and i lost my receipt, and i bought it from POS customer service compusa.

Back