• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Laptop Should I Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTerminator

I'm going to UMD in January and will not be able to take my rig :(. I have a old as hell Dell Inspiron E1505 that still works but is SLOW.

Here are my requirments:
15.6" 1920x1080p screen
i7 Ivy Bridge
At least a GT640m graphics card
Don't care too much about HDD
Less than $900

Now I found a BEAST laptop. The Lenovo Y580. It had blu-ray, 750gb + 32gb SSD, GTX 660m, 1080p, i7 Ivy Bridge. Basically my question is, should I get this laptop for college? And are there any laptops I'm just missing because I have been looking deep into every coupon code, deal you name it.

Also I want a Laptop I can take into lectures and take notes, are those little tables in a lecture hall big enough for a 15x10x1.5" laptop?

I really can't recommend any other laptop brand besides Asus. You will pay a bit more, but build quality has been excellent on the last two for me. Here's one that fits your bill pretty closely (there's a button on the page to switch between Windows 8 and 7. Switch to 7 and you'll save $75 and should be eligible for the $15 upgrade to 8 if you want it.).

Might also be worth it, to hold out two more weeks and see what's on sale around Thanksgiving (Black Friday). Laptops are typically discounted pretty deep (albeit, sometimes older tech), but you may get lucky and save a couple $100. I still recommend Asus unless you can find the specs you want for a lot cheaper. If I had two laptops in front of me with the same specs and one was an Asus, but $150 more, I would take it easily.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen that Asus before. Except I'd really like that Asus with the GT650m but does cost a little more. I will wait till Thanksgiving through Christmas if I have to. College starts Jan. 20 so there is plenty of time. I definitely value quality and build materials but it has to be cost effective.

Yeah thanks guys, I'm going to wait for black friday cyber monday deals. I'm looking everyday but I just can't find the one with my needs at the price I can afford. Ninjacore, that laptop I would be happy to own, if only it had a 1080p screen.

Whoops. Forgot to look at that spec. I knew it was too good to be true haha Good luck

Back