• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, this looks to have some serious potential....they have a heck of a tall order to fill. Can't wait to see the end result and look forward to breaking my TrackIR out of storage. In the meantime, pledged for an Early Adopter.

@ sHape oF gReY:

It's a tall order, but at the rate money is pouring in now CR will have plenty of resources to hire people to make the game, maintain the web site, hire support personel, update the billing system, etc. The project is now, as of this writing, just $70,000 from $4.5M! It'll be reached easily. Star Citizen are breaking all previous records for crowdfunding!

So expect to get all of the hardware support I mentioned in the previous post. :)

The last 24 hours of the funding campaign will be broadcasted live from Austin, Texas. There will be quite a party, with guests, answering questions from backers, prize drawings, etc. Tune in and have fun! :)

Yeah, I really hope this project comes to fruition to bring back the joys of freelancer and wing commander type games that have been absent from the gaming scene for a long time now.

It will be reality now, sHape oF gReY. After breaking the record of crowdfunding by ca. 50% CR won't have problems making the game.

BTW, since the RSI site was so shaky when everyone pledged at the same time on Monday, and many people couldn't place their orders, CR decided to give us a grace period of one week. So it's still possible to pledge under the old conditions -- same benefits, same prices. Until Sunday. :)

Star Citizen

I have a friend who work at Ubisoft for yrs now as sound dev and he is really sceptic about this project. I know the work it takes to develop dekind of game Star Citizen are try to do and he doubt they will be ready with a complet game in november 2014. This friend enjoyed alot Privateers and Wing commander so he "know" the guy behind it and im sure he wants this project to work but he is sceptic.

I really want this game to work with all the bells and wistle the are advertizing but i think he may be right at some point, they have a damn load of work to doo.

Ubisoft is one of the traditional publishers CR is making fun at, so of course they're a bit sore now. Here's some of CR's plan to make it happen in time:

The plan now is for a new game studio to open at Rio Grande and 17th Street, where Roberts said a team of about 20-30 people will begin work in December. Eventually, he expects the company will expand to about 70 employees, with a total of about 150 working on the project, including some local contractors and a few employees in Los Angeles for marketing and publishing.
Quoted from this article: http://www.statesman.com/news/technology/austin-video-game-star-citizen-raises-more-then-62/nTBBq/

just saw this in my email box from chris..

After finally getting a good night’s sleep the team and I here at Roberts Space Industries would like to thank you for helping us make history.

It's gratifying to see Star Citizen mentioned across the gaming and mainstream media; how its broken records, how it shows that people still believe in PC games, how they want to play a space sim, how it is another nail in the coffin of the traditional publisher model.

We hope that you will feel the same way. Even though a lot of press and commentators are praising our skill in running a campaign, the secret sauce that really made Star Citizen happen was YOUR dedication. Your belief in this game energized us as the days got long. Your desire to play kept us going as we faced technical issues and growing mountains of work to do. The community YOU built made sure WE stayed believers. You made this game your own; big publishers may someday look back at this as the beginning of the end, a day when the players took over the development process and made it their own.

So from all of us at RSI: good work, Citizens!

For more info on Our Pledge to you, the grace period we've implemented, and more - please go read the full post at http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge-and-grace-period/
Thank you!

I have a friend who work at Ubisoft for yrs now as sound dev and he is really sceptic about this project. I know the work it takes to develop dekind of game Star Citizen are try to do and he doubt they will be ready with a complet game in november 2014. This friend enjoyed alot Privateers and Wing commander so he "know" the guy behind it and im sure he wants this project to work but he is sceptic.

I really want this game to work with all the bells and wistle the are advertizing but i think he may be right at some point, they have a damn load of work to doo.

Even if they are unable to keep the exact quoted time frame I think everyone who donated would agree that more time to make the finished project wouldn't be objected too. But because they aren't being backed by any AAA publisher and are doing things differently and only have this one project to worry about they have a great shot in doing this in the time they quoted they obviously have a lot made so we will see what they can do in the near future.

But personally I think they will make good on 95% of their promises because this company has everything to lose if its a flop this is do or die for them and these guys know it and that drive and passion that these guys are showing is exactly what is needed for the PC and this Genre... Of course I just care more about the PC lol but I'm also excited for this game. I wish them luck!

Lol that was an Epic moment when they hit 7 mil! so excited they have gotten that far and that's just the donations not including the money from their backers. can't wait to see alpha and beta footage very exciting.

Hey all, There hasn't been any updates for a while on this but I wanted to post some more info about some of the latest updates on Star Citizen and to also mention they are currently doing a sale that runs through 5/4/13 12AM CST that gets you the game, Life time Insurance on your ship (last time it will be offered) and alpha\beta access for the lowest price they will offer. (They said Prices will go up soon.)

They just released a "Brochure" On their latest Ship the Aurora. This had 3D Renders and some fun info on the ship.

Also They have started releasing Concept art and info on some planets they are developing this one called Terra should look pretty awesome. These two are Tyrol and Beijing.

Any ways if you're looking for something different and not the same console junk this is your game. also a great community there if you have questions about the game.

Edit: Also here is a video of live in game footage of their character models movement. so far this is with out real motion capture and it looks top notch.

Last edited:
Nice update :)

That 1 week sale of the Aurora base ship (most amazing detail of a starter ship I have ever seen) has been going Very Well but is coming to an end today and its the last chance to get the LX model (with leather seats too ;)) with Life Time Insurance.

At around the end of this month (date to be set once their New Web Site is ready) or Early June the Star Citizen devs are having a 24 Hour Live Stream to bring the lastest $10 million Stretch Goal to a close at the end of which the New Web Site goes Live.

The Stretch Goal we are shooting for allows CIG to build their own Motion Capture studio using the best equipment available. It is a Very important addition as currently they hire a MoCap studio out which costs $30 - 50k per day :eek:
Having their own studio will in the long run save a bunch of money and allow them to make as much use as they could like for what could be one of the Best Animated sets of game characters to date.

There will likely be some Limited one off offers (maybe) just before and during it and will be a host of great early information about the game + should be a whole lot of fun with lots of input from the excellent creative community growing up around Star Citizen.

The End of the 24 Hour Live Stream also marks the Last Chance to buy a new Pledge with Life Time Insurance on the hull of the ships of your chosen package. The number of Alpha / Beta places is also running out. Of the 200,000 places there are only 26k left now! After which there will be no more chance to get play (Alpha Multiplayer testing) access up to a year before the main game launches.

I expect there will be some new in game videos released with new ships leading up to the 24 hour Live Stream too to drum up extra interest.

Check out the Aurora Brochure PDF on the page Pvt.Dancer linked, well worth a look.

I will try to check back later and make a more Colourful post - kinda short on time today.

Come join us while you can still get in early, time is running out!

Quick question...Those who already pledged some months ago (Scout) already have access to alpha/beta and lifetime insurance, correct? So if we want the LX, we just need the $5 upgrade?

Quick question...Those who already pledged some months ago (Scout) already have access to alpha/beta and lifetime insurance, correct? So if we want the LX, we just need the $5 upgrade?

If you pledged back during the "Campaign" when they were hitting the stretch goals and had the countdown timer yes you have Life time Insurance and access to alpha and beta so if you do want the LX all you need is the $5 upgrade.

Back