• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems like they've done ALOT of tweaks in this version. From Racing, to Dogfighting. Everything. A very welcomed update.

With that what ever they did with the update I defiantly can't run on Ultra High anymore. Dropped it to high and back to acceptable frame rates right now. Around 40ish in Racing, and 50-60 in dog fighting. Probably have to play around with lower settings when DK2 arrives. They also really limited the options in the settings in game. Just select a setting, nothing like the customization that was there before for a few options. Oh well I'm sure it will be added back in at a later date.

On thing thought he 350R is daaamn fast. WOW That ship moves lets just say that.

Yeah right now the current menu system is their first release of anything customized plus added control profiles. So I'm sure more customized settings will be available soon I'm having issues as well running on very high but I also can't enable my SLI right now so I'm not getting near the power I have lol but all with due time as they optimize the game. The M50 and 350R Are SOOOOO much fun to fly the way the ships are handling are feeling great I'm loving the racing its such a blast!

Beyond the tweaks you mentioned they raised the overall speed of all the space craft with a top out speed of 300 MPH (the 350R's top speed) And my personal favorite of all the tweaks in the update... Sound! Huge new library of sounds and they are ridiculous!

Good point I did notice much more on the sound side as well.

I haven't flown anything else just flying my 350R was wonderful! Really need to get a joy stick setup for the PC now that I've got a few games that will be utilizing it.

I will play this thing again when we can disable motionblur, apparently with latest patch they saw fit to disable the cryengine commands. disabling motionblur gave me 10fps gain.

And they seriously need to rework the targeting system.

Starting to get worried about this title. It seems like Chris Roberts hired his wife to be head of marketing and now they're rolling around in whats close to now $60 million, cranking out new ships left and right and patching arena commander without much progress on the main title.

Their constant attempts to involve and update the community is what seems to be derailing the game most, in my opinion. They're just fostering an already-rampant sense of entitlement and creating more work for themselves. I say they shut down the forums, contests, wingman's hangar, bla bla bla for 6 months, then ramp it all back up. Guarantee you everyone would still be there...

Starting to get worried about this title. It seems like Chris Roberts hired his wife to be head of marketing and now they're rolling around in whats close to now $60 million, cranking out new ships left and right and patching arena commander without much progress on the main title.

Well there is a lot of stuff we still have yet to see. The patches to the arena commander is going to still be a huge portion of the game they are patching with physics and ships.
The story line and the rest of the universe is what is hidden.

Then again this is a unique title at that. They are showing off and letting us play around in an environment that normally wouldn't see any light of day until just before release. Its new to most of us to see how the process even goes. The game isn't even classified in an alpha state yet.

Their constant attempts to involve and update the community is what seems to be derailing the game most, in my opinion. They're just fostering an already-rampant sense of entitlement and creating more work for themselves. I say they shut down the forums, contests, wingman's hangar, bla bla bla for 6 months, then ramp it all back up. Guarantee you everyone would still be there...

I do agree the amount of posts, updates, interviews they do with staff is a lot. They got to have 2-3 people at least just doing that keeping everyone up to date/informed full time. Let alone the time they go and do interviews with staff members, putting production clips together, etc.

Though and now next week I should see how it plays out but I will have my OculusRift coming in. Just got notification last night.

Well there is a lot of stuff we still have yet to see. The patches to the arena commander is going to still be a huge portion of the game they are patching with physics and ships.
The story line and the rest of the universe is what is hidden..

Ya, I'm not too concerned with time "wasted" with Arena Commander. I think their code is probably modular enough that everything they do for AC will port into the persistent universe. They can do it however they want really. It's already impressive enough to justify the $50 or whatever I spent last year :) I just could do without so much community involvement (though, I'm sure that's not the popular opinion).

I would think of it like this. Most companies don't get to test their servers and their net code till Alpha and beta stage. And everything they're adding in will be in the PU and needs to be Vetted. Such as the new targeting system with lead indicators after feedback its been updated and they're still working on perfecting it. Since they have a few different studios working it allows them to focus on these modular pieces they can combine together as they take shape and are at a "Polished state" so we can further vet them and improve them.

Honestly IMO this will make for a game that by release for those who wait and don't play in pre-alpha\alpha\beta a better more complete experience and for us in the PU as well since we will be dealing with much less latency\server issues at launch.

Plus if you look at it from the stand point of a massive project the fact they broke it down into modules makes more since then trying to tackle this beast all at once! It just keeps things focused and organized and keeps them on task. I'm no programmer but I bet it makes debugging a little easier!

I just don't get the milestones. Sure, plop something to link to and 'play'. But the volumes of fiction 'background' presented doesn't endear me to the future. Knowing by a certain date there is a functionality will build my confidence in a positive way on the amount of $$$ I have 'supported' with up to now.

Had me at Hello And Donate. I donated. Now when will the show begin?

I just don't get the milestones. Sure, plop something to link to and 'play'. But the volumes of fiction 'background' presented doesn't endear me to the future. Knowing by a certain date there is a functionality will build my confidence in a positive way on the amount of $$$ I have 'supported' with up to now.

Had me at Hello And Donate. I donated. Now when will the show begin?

They sound pretty confident when they say they're entire code and interface is modular. They're using Arena Commander as a testbed for the alpha but only problem is, all theyve added is some ships. If all of their stuff is as modular and plug and play as they say, it should all be ok, i just feel like there needs to be more content being tested to give me more confidence. That's what an open alpha is for right? Right now all I see is COD style space fighting.

Back to the top!

Anyone picked up new ships? Had gotten a Reclaimer when they first intro'd them a while back and a Retaliator in the anniversary sale. Can't decide on the Carrack. Can't see buying it and keeping my Connie. I had the phx upgrade but ultimately decided I didn't care for the loss in firepower which has also kept me from going with the Andromeda so I am not sure if I will want a serious explorer ship or not. With the increase in modular customization they announced I figure I will be able to setup the base Connie to do what I want. Plan to also get the Orion and Hull C as my last big ships I invest in pre-launch with maybe one more smaller ship to go with my Cutlass Blue.

I have yet to buy the game :(
Things got in the way and I had to part with my gpu.

How do you guys like it? Worth it for an xmas self gift?

- - - Updated - - -

I have yet to buy the game :(
Things got in the way and I had to part with my gpu.

How do you guys like it? Worth it for an xmas self gift?

The released component out now is Arena Commander. Its fun for short periods but not what you would call a game yet. When AC 2.0 and multi-crew ships get added it should make things a little more fun. Should also see a Squadron 42 single player intro soon.

There were a large number of $20 packages put up but they all got gobbled up as each package also gives an existing account an NPC crewman and ppl want to fly their big ships solo so they didn't last long. I missed it as I wanted a few to give out as presents. At this point I don't know if its worth buying into if you don't have the extra cash to throw at a game that you won't seen much out of for a while. Early on there were perks for being invested as they made milestones but those are few and far between now and any goals they hit now will be in game for pretty much everyone.

I see, so might be best to wait for it to be worth my while...running short on cash for the time being anyway.
Thanks for the heads up ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I see, so might be best to wait for it to be worth my while...running short on cash for the time being anyway.
Thanks for the heads up ;)

I nearly bought in big time in 2012. Im so glad i didnt. I would be so PO to be 2 years down the line with out the actual game to play. As is i havent even touched it in months. glad i didnt buy in at a significatn $$ amount

I nearly bought in big time in 2012. Im so glad i didnt. I would be so PO to be 2 years down the line with out the actual game to play. As is i havent even touched it in months. glad i didnt buy in at a significatn $$ amount

The persistent universe was always due 2015 with other modules (hangar, dogfighting) released along the way since they're modular pieces. I don't see how you'd have been let down by their cadence thus far. I think they've become a bit distracted by non-essentials, but they've delivered as promised thus far.

Back