• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm fan recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majax

Registered
I’m looking to buy some 120mm fans for my case and as a replacement for the stock fan that comes with the Hyper 212 EVO. I definitely want them to be quiet and I heard Scythe was the best. Which Scythe model should I get?

AP-15, 1850 rpm ones. They are not PWM controlled though, voltage 3 pin. Some mobos allow 3 pin control, most don't anymore. Still, at max RPM they are surprisingly quiet.

majax; what is the goal here?

the fans on the hyper212 aren't bad, and by adding a second you'll only see 1c to mayb 4c difference in temps. what are your current temps and what is your current system? The hyper is a good cooler, but it is limited in upgrade and performance as it is an entry level cooler in comparison to other tower/heatpipe coolers.

do to the gaps around the fan and fan shroud there is a lot of wasted air blown around the hyper212. have you considered mayb a foil tape to block off these gaps and FORCE all the air through the hyper212? mayb play with that and see what temp improvements you get. for that matter, what thermal paste are you using?

majax; what is the goal here?

the fans on the hyper212 aren't bad, and by adding a second you'll only see 1c to mayb 4c difference in temps. what are your current temps and what is your current system? The hyper is a good cooler, but it is limited in upgrade and performance as it is an entry level cooler in comparison to other tower/heatpipe coolers.

do to the gaps around the fan and fan shroud there is a lot of wasted air blown around the hyper212. have you considered mayb a foil tape to block off these gaps and FORCE all the air through the hyper212? mayb play with that and see what temp improvements you get. for that matter, what thermal paste are you using?

I want to replace the 120mm fan on the Hyper 212 EVO with Scythe fans because Scythe is supposed to be quieter. My mother board is ASUS Sabertooth Z77.

Here's a link for the 5 different models:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/051/d1225c12b1ap_detail.html

It's the noise that make the AP-15's so good. It's not obtrusive at all. You also can never trust what the marketers say, you have to find solid scince based reviews to trust them.

Trust me, the AP-15 for normal rad, case, heatsink fans can't be beat. You want more RPM's, there are AP-30's also.

Back