• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS20LQ CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve Mc

Registered
Not sure if this belongs in Motherboard or Cooling so feel free to move to wherever.
On my 1st build and have come across a problem that I hope you guys can help with.
I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo and a Zalman CNPS20LQ CPU Cooler and I'm installing into a Corsair SE 600T case and utilizing the rear fan that comes with case to set up a push/pull configuration on the cooler. I'm taking that that means pushing into the rad from internal fan and pulling out the back via rear case fan, please correct me if I've got that wrong.
My problems start with the Cooler installation -
To connect the cooler it says to 'plug fan cable into 4-pin cpu fan header on mobo' - no problems there and have done that.
My problem is that is then says 'connect pump cable into a 3-pin fan header on mobo' - there are no 3-pin fan headers only 4 so where do I plug this in?
I'm also not sure where to plug the lead from the rear fan into either, any ideas? It's a case fan so also 3-pin.
Hope that's enough info.
~Steve

My problem is that is then says 'connect pump cable into a 3-pin fan header on mobo' - there are no 3-pin fan headers only 4 so where do I plug this in?
I'm also not sure where to plug the lead from the rear fan into either, any ideas? It's a case fan so also 3-pin.
~Steve

The connector on the pump should have slots, the 4-pin on the MB a tab. Line them up and plug the fan connector onto the MB. The 4th pin on the MB will sit quietly and do nothing. Same with the rear case fan, excepting you may want to keep eyes on the four fan headers on your MB, i.e., where they are located, in what positions, and the length of your fan wires, just so you get as much connectivity as possible from the 4 on-board fan headers without having wiring spaghetti issues. And you may want to add another fan later without re-routing all the wiring.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Robert17, I was thinking that was the answer but didn't want to go ahead without verification.
Jumped the gun earlier and forgot to screw in the Wireless & Bluetooth Module so had to take the fan, cooler and mobo out again to fit it.
With the case having 2x 200mm intake fans [front and top] and a 120mm exhaust at the rear what would would be the best fan set up on the cooler? I was thinking leave rear as is [exhaust] and the cooler fan blowing onto the rad from inside, is this correct?
I was also wondering if the rear fan should be plugged into the CPU-OPT as the cooler fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN next to it. Read somewhere that the CPU_OPT is used when using push-pull so thought I'd ask.
Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: Looked into this some more and now see that the cpu headers control 4-pin, the 3-pins need to go into the CHA_FAN connectors and then I can control in Fan Xpert 2.
How would I control the pump when it's plugged into a fan header or will it do its funky thing without my assistance?

Last edited:
steve: the options up to you. most builders focus on clean routing. i've even used only the cpu fan plug header for 1 fan and ran the rest of the fans off the PSU. i would suggest intake from the front, and the rest of the fans as exhaust; though i don't truly understand how or where are setting up the cpu cooler. what case is this? where you putting the radiator?

Hi dtrunk, thanks for the reply.
The case is the Corsair SE 600t. It has a rear 120mm fan on the back that is on one side of the rad pulling and the fan that came with the cooler I've set to push onto the rad.
The case has its own fan control system but I quite fancied using the mobo's in-built fan control system.
The whole thing would have been really straight forward other than this and only because the pump is 3-pin and to quote
connect pump cable into a 3-pin fan header on motherboard
and all I have is 4-pins.

should b no biggie where you plug it in. just line it up right, is this the problem? looking at the mobo cpu headers, i assume you'll want them on the right 3 pins of the 4 pin header. generally, the 3pin will have a flat and ribbed side; you'll want the ribbed side towards the "key" (big peg that sticks up) on the 4pin header. the 3 pin should slide in with the ribs right between the key pg on the 4 pin. worse case, it'll explode and burn your house down.

that all make sense?

Yeah all makes sense, done already man.
I guess I'll see what control I have on various things later on down the road.
Thanks for the help.

Back