• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosewill Challenger cooling ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterNincompoop

Registered
So I'm helping a buddy compile his gaming rig wishlist, & $39 for a Challenger w/ 3 included fans is hard to beat:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

It frees up a lot of money for a bigger CPU/GPU (again, 100% gaming). Our plan is:

Ivy 3450 (OC'd to the max 3.9Ghz w/ Turboboost on an Asrock Z75)
Gigabyte 7950 (OC'd as far as possible w/out Voltage increases)

My question is in regards to the optional side fan holes. The bottom slot is a no-brainer, since the PSU will be mounted upside-down, all that fresh cool air from the bottom side fan will be sucked up into the 3 fans on the Gigabyte 7950 we are looking at.

The top side fan however, has me wondering... let me give my 2 ideas separately:

1.) With the stock Intel HSF, we could mount the second side fan, but I would imagine the airflow would just push the hot air from the stock HSF back onto the CPU. Even with a 120mm rear & 140mm top exhaust running, the side & CPU fans would be blowing right at each other. That doesn't seem efficient to me.

2.) Spend some money on a 212+, & lose the potential to mount the second side case fan altogether (212+ is to tall). Plus then we have to worry about RAM clearance & everything else.

Since this is a non-K Ivy, the 400 Mhz OC potential is probably easily handled by the stock HSF, I just don't like the idea of the second side case fan & HSF fans pushing against each other.

Thoughts?

Hi PeterNincompop,

I am not an expert but I think you will 100% need to invest in a CPU heat sink if you are looking to OC (especially to 3.9Ghz). The CM 212+ is a great fan for a decent price but like you say does not fit in many cases, but you can always mod the case a little if your competent with a few tools.

Also I don't think you will need any more fan's on my build I have 4 fans and that is more than enough if they are placed in the correct locations!

Hope I kinda helped!

As a small suggestion the link i posted for top 5 coolers under frostytech.com you should book mark the page for future use for yourself!! AJ.

So the consensus is to go with a 212+, should we mount it to exhaust via the rear 120mm case fan, or the top 140mm case fan?

Exhausting out the larger top fan makes more sense to me. Not to mention... heat rises, it doesn't move horizontally.

Thoughts?

Either. Heat doesn't rise, it's radiated into space in all directions the same. Physics.

Warmer air does rise since the molecules are less dense due to the transferred energy from the heat. In a situation in a sealed contaier with no airflow, the warmer air will be at th top.

Most PC forums don't understand basic physics, our does.

In a situation like a PC case it's a moot fact. Pick which you like better. You have airflow, air moves the warmer air.

Either. Heat doesn't rise, it's radiated into space in all directions the same. Physics.

Warmer air does rise since the molecules are less dense due to the transferred energy from the heat. In a situation in a sealed contaier with no airflow, the warmer air will be at th top.

Most PC forums don't understand basic physics, our does.

In a situation like a PC case it's a moot fact. Pick which you like better. You have airflow, air moves the warmer air.

Thanks... a little on the condescending side... but then again physics was never my area of expertise...

Side fans as a rule do not accomplish much.
A 3450 Ivy is not a "K" (unlocked chip). Stock cooling should be fine for the 100-200 GHz you can overclock.

Generally a tower heat sink like the 212+ will help move air from the case out the back.
Probably the best plan would be replacing the front fan with one that "as quietly" moves more air.
If the 212+ or video card still allows side fan use put the old front one there.
Those Cougar Fans going on sale for $10 are getting good reccommendations.

If not just block the side off to keep dust out (monitor video card temp before and after, just so you know whether it effects the temperature).

Thanks... a little on the condescending side... but then again physics was never my area of expertise...

That's me, and how I roll. You didn't know, but it's not your fault, your 'other resources' never guided you to to physics, and important part of cooling a PC.. I'ts a very common misconception, your not the first by a long shot.

Back