• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965be to FX 8350 time to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdog2005

Registered
I bought a new motherboard Asus Crosshair Formula Z with the intention of buying the FX 8350 in a few months, I am currently running the 965be overclocked to 3.8ghz, I also purchased Gskill trident 2400 MHz Ram which my motherboard is compatible with but the max I can get it to go is 1866, otherwise the system will not post, is this because of my current CPU?
If you guys say yes you just cost me 200.00 tomorrow, a reason to upgrade earlier :)

Also will this be much of a upgrade ? do think my 7950 will run better with it?

965BE has DDR1333 as its' supported ram speed. Some get more as you have.

The FX-8350 supports DDR1866, so there is not a guarantee you will get DDR2400 with a swap to FX-8150. More likely but not a sure thing.

2400 isn't guaranteed even with an FX but its pretty likely. I haven't pushed mine past 2200 yet but my RAM is rated for 1600 so ya. Performance wise the 83(20/50) are a pretty substantial upgrade from a 955 if you do anything that uses more than 4 threads, or lots of heavy multi tasking. The average easy overclock on these chips is ~4.4-4.6Ghz which even with a small IPC loss is a fair amount faster than a deneb running 3.8Ghz on lightly threaded loads.

Mostly use it for gaming, I should have no bottle neck with the new card if I get

well that 965 sells on ebay for $75 so the 8350 would only be about $120
i would like for the price not bad of a upgrade
but its a shame you already got the mobo
Intel is much better even though i had to say it

If you have the money than I would definitely go for 8350
that boosts the whole matter. And you have a nice mobo which works well in 8350.
I had previously run phenom 1090 and I play a lot of battlefield.
As a test, I have temporarily put into fx6100.
The 1090 is more powerful with everyday things but with battlefield, I noticed a big difference. Could suddenly everything ultra play and turned just tastier.
By 8350, this just fine, I think.:sn:

Honestly if you plan to overclock theres no reason to get an 8350 over an 8320. The max overclock is WAYYY past what you can get on air or water cooling for either chip. I have taken my 8320 up to 5.1Ghz running CPU benchmarks on it and my 8120 I had up to 5.46Ghz running benches both on water cooling. For heavy loads on air both chips will safely do 4.6Ghz.

Well I went out today and got the 8350, installed it and my ram is running at 2400mhz
I haven't overclocked her yet but in games I can tell the difference already, it seems I must of had a little bottle neck with my phenom 965

I opened up the topcover of the metal case that the FX chips come in and it says marlbora, anyone elses case's made of a tobacco can ? :)

I was going to say get the FX-8320, better price wise and almost the same as the FX-8350 except for mhz...I'm loving my FX-8320 nice and fast...

I was going to say get the FX-8320, better price wise and almost the same as the FX-8350 except for mhz...I'm loving my FX-8320 nice and fast...

8350s are binned better.

Typically get the same OC with slightly less power. I got one of each and can say it requires 2 less bumps of power at 4.85GHz to pass IBT
(1.475 3850 vs 1.525 for 3820)

Either one is great-- They are pretty darn compelling chips, especially compared to BD :attn:

Back