Super Moderator
    First Responders
    -->
    10 Year Badge

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1

This Nvidia driver update package notification is showing up on Windows Update as an Important update for both Vista and Win7, instead of the usual 'Optional' for this type of update. So I did some research, and found that most folks installing this update are receiving a BSOD / incomplete boot upon reboot of the system, of which not even a System Restore is able to resolve.

So you might want to just hide the update through Windows Update (right-click the update, and select 'Hide update'), and instead update your graphics drivers as you normally would... directly through Nvidia (by direct download, or by using the auto-update feature built into the newer Nvidia driver packages). Here's one article I found detailing the update...

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2
    http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2...te-nvidia.html

2. Thanks!

Audioaficionado (04-24-14), darkblitz05 (04-20-14), drshivas (11-19-12), EarthDog (11-19-12)

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Ouch... excellent find Redduc.. thanks!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    This one?
    nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Installation date: ‎2012-‎10-‎15 7:06 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware software update released in October, 2012
    Or is there a newer one? The only uninstalled driver update on my system right now is for the Intel GPU:

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Download size: 57.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Intel Corporation Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 software update released in September, 2012
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - FX-8350 - 32GiB 1600 Crucial low-profile 1.35v - 7970 3GiB - 8.1 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - AX760
    Dell XPS 15 L502x - i7 2760QM - 16GiB 1600 - GT 540M 2GiB - 7 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - Agility 4 512GB

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    "Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
    Folding User Stats

Super Moderator
    First Responders
    -->
    10 Year Badge
    The update I posted about refers to the 'Important' version, and not the 'Optional' integrated / mobile versions, the latter of which I wasn't even aware of.

too late I already downloaded them. I have had no problems at all since the download...about 1 month ago...so

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I saw that and balked. Will set to ignore. Thanks, redduc900.

c(π*199780) Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile
    Thank you redduc900 for saving a lot of people a lot of grief. I personally go a step further and routinely hide and never install any Driver Updates offered by Windows Update -- because from Windows 98 to Windows 8, Driver Updates rendered untold millions of machines unusable.

Use Windows Update for Windows OS updates only and install drivers from hardware manufacturers and if possible only after imaging the OS partition.

I hope someone can help me. I was unistalling some things on my kids pc that wasn't need. I wasn't paying attention and ended up deleting 2 or 3 things that had to do NVIDIA. Im pretty sure one of them was display driver. I have been trying to redownload the stuff but I'm not sure what to download. I noticed one of my sons games has the NVIDIA drivers to download right from the game but it wont let me cause its only for windows below 7. Since I have unistalled whatever I did by accident their internet connection is very slow where it takes forever for pages to load, etc. Their pc is also trying to install the following but keeps failing: nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - NVIDIA GeForce 210

I don't know what to do.

c(π*199780) Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile
    If your display driver needs to be installed then download a driver on a working computer then copy it to a USB Flash drive and install it on the PC with the NVIDIA GeForce 210 video card.

The card is GeForce > GeForce 200 Series > GeForce 210 > Select operating system
    Go here where it says Manual Driver Search:
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers

The point of this thread is not to allow hardware drivers to be installed by Windows Update and to instead install them by downloading them from manufacturer's web site only.
    In other words, to use Windows update to install Windows updates only, not video card updates and other hardware updates.

Definitely start a new thread in this section if you have other problems and people will help you.

I also was receiving that update request. I did try to download it just last week & I guess I'm lucky because it failed to download. Thanks for the heads up, won't try that again.
    Dan
    MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 CPU - AMD FX-8350
    COOLER - Custom Water Loop (CPU only)
    MEMORY - G.Skill Ripjaws 2X4 1866 BXL
    VIDEO - EVGA GTX 760SC
    HDD - 1TB WD (SATA 3) SSD - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 120GB Intel 530
    CASE - CoolerMaster HAF-932 POWER SUPPLY - Corsair CX750M
    O/S - Dual Boot - Win 8.1 & 7 (64 Bit)

Super Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Since I use my GPU for FAH, I never allow a MS driver update for a major system component if the manufacturer has good driver support. Last few times a MS GPU driver update got through, it borked FAH and had to be uninstalled.
    .....................................My HeatwareMyFAH Stats
    .......................Folding is a marathon, not a sprint © audioaficionado
    Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz >SMP2+GPU3 FAH 24/7
    Gigabyte DS3, 3GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6400 @3.0GHz
    Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, 4GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6600 @3.0GHz
    Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
    Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds???Click This Link
    Anyone we catch cookie stuffing at this site will be banned on the spot!!