• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
This Nvidia driver update package notification is showing up on Windows Update as an Important update for both Vista and Win7, instead of the usual 'Optional' for this type of update. So I did some research, and found that most folks installing this update are receiving a BSOD / incomplete boot upon reboot of the system, of which not even a System Restore is able to resolve.

So you might want to just hide the update through Windows Update (right-click the update, and select 'Hide update'), and instead update your graphics drivers as you normally would... directly through Nvidia (by direct download, or by using the auto-update feature built into the newer Nvidia driver packages). Here's one article I found detailing the update...

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2
http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2012/11/beware-of-windows-update-nvidia.html

This one?
nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Installation date: ‎2012-‎10-‎15 7:06 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware software update released in October, 2012

Or is there a newer one? The only uninstalled driver update on my system right now is for the Intel GPU:

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Download size: 57.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Intel Corporation Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 software update released in September, 2012

The update I posted about refers to the 'Important' version, and not the 'Optional' integrated / mobile versions, the latter of which I wasn't even aware of.

too late I already downloaded them. I have had no problems at all since the download...about 1 month ago...so :clap:

Thank you redduc900 for saving a lot of people a lot of grief. I personally go a step further and routinely hide and never install any Driver Updates offered by Windows Update -- because from Windows 98 to Windows 8, Driver Updates rendered untold millions of machines unusable.

Use Windows Update for Windows OS updates only and install drivers from hardware manufacturers and if possible only after imaging the OS partition.

I hope someone can help me. I was unistalling some things on my kids pc that wasn't need. I wasn't paying attention and ended up deleting 2 or 3 things that had to do NVIDIA. Im pretty sure one of them was display driver. I have been trying to redownload the stuff but I'm not sure what to download. I noticed one of my sons games has the NVIDIA drivers to download right from the game but it wont let me cause its only for windows below 7. Since I have unistalled whatever I did by accident their internet connection is very slow where it takes forever for pages to load, etc. Their pc is also trying to install the following but keeps failing: nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - NVIDIA GeForce 210

I don't know what to do.

If your display driver needs to be installed then download a driver on a working computer then copy it to a USB Flash drive and install it on the PC with the NVIDIA GeForce 210 video card.

The card is GeForce > GeForce 200 Series > GeForce 210 > Select operating system
Go here where it says Manual Driver Search:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

The point of this thread is not to allow hardware drivers to be installed by Windows Update and to instead install them by downloading them from manufacturer's web site only.
In other words, to use Windows update to install Windows updates only, not video card updates and other hardware updates.

Definitely start a new thread in this section if you have other problems and people will help you.

I also was receiving that update request. I did try to download it just last week & I guess I'm lucky because it failed to download. Thanks for the heads up, won't try that again.
Dan

Since I use my GPU for FAH, I never allow a MS driver update for a major system component if the manufacturer has good driver support. Last few times a MS GPU driver update got through, it borked FAH and had to be uninstalled.

Graphics Adapter WDDM1.0, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Gr

I have installed this update as part of Windows update and I got a blank screen on booting. I almost re installed the OS. but accidently I turned the monitor Off and booted and then turned on the monitor to see the login page. I uninstalled the update it is working fine now. I'm posting this thinking this may help somebody who hit the same issue.

This only applies to pre-Windows10 OS - in Windows 10 it is no longer possible to only install Windows OS updates.
Hardware driver updates, like video card updates, are mandatory and begin installing if you simply check for updates.

The only way to guard against video card update problems in Windows 10 is to partition/image your OS partition prior to checking for Windows updates.
I believe there was already a (mandatory) video card update problem shortly after Windows 10 release...

There are no registry modifications or settings modifications that can disable initial hardware driver update if you connect to Windows update. By that I mean, I believe you can disable already installed updates... but if the system is already wrecked by them... this may prove difficult...

Yes.

It will begin installing *everything* under the sun if you go to the Windows 10 Update page and then, if so much as the wind blows, UPDATE ALL begins.
There is *nothing* that can stop this behavior of mandatory 'everything install' when you go to the Windows 10 Update page.

Other than not going to Windows 10 Update page, but you have to, to get critical updates, which you cannot get by themselves - it's all or nothing.

You can prevent auto driver install when you install new hardware, but nothing (no registry key or setting) stops Windows 10 Update page from updating everything under the sun on all versions of Windows 10, Pro and Home alike...

So once again, you can stop auto updates, but if you willingly go to the Windows 10 Update page - they p0wn you, very quickly.

Last edited:
Weird. I've been on the same driver in W10. I wonder what I did to prevent it from updating...

Back