• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable CPU *Unsubstantiated Rumor*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Post-Haswell Chips to Feature BGA Packaging, Set to Be Sold with Mainboards
[11/22/2012 02:22 AM]
by Anton Shilov

As personal computers become smaller, their flexibility is decreasing. According to a media report starting from code-named Broadwell generation of processors, Intel Corp. will only offer mainstream desktop chips in BGA packaging, which will eliminate upgrade options as well as increase risks for PC makers.

Both Intel and Advanced Micro Devices supply two different desktop platforms these days, making a very clear difference between mainstream and high-end desktop. Still, mainstream PCs with simplistic processors may easily be upgraded with very fast processors thanks to the fact that the chips are interchangeable and come in the same LGA1155 form-factor. Unfortunately, the ease of upgrade may come to an end in two years as starting from Broadwell generation of central processing units (CPUs) mainstream chips will cease to use land grid array (LGA) and micro pin grid array (µPGA) packages and will only be available in in ball grid array (BGA) form-factors, just like Intel Atom processors.

According to Japanese PC Watch web-site, code-named Haswell microprocessors may be the last desktop chips in LGA packaging, which enabled easy switch of CPUs on mainboards. Starting from Broadwell chips, which are due in 2014, all mainstream desktop processors will be available in BGA packaging, which means that they will have to be soldered to mainboards, something that can be done in relatively sophisticated manufacturing facilities.

Source.

What do you guys think the future will bring?

Will AMD follow suit?
:salute:

EDIT by hokie -

This is FUD. I've checked into it (obviously not with Intel directly, but with people who know people) and there is nothing to substantiate this rumor that I can find, inside or outside Intel. Believe me, if I checked into it and it were true, we'd be shouting it from the front page in massive bold letters. It just doesn't seem to have any merit.

EDIT II by hokie -

Like I said, nothing to this rumor: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722372

Thanks to ivanlabrie for posting the update. :thup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand there logic !!!!! If one component dies the whole lot goes in the bin... Infact after reading this back, i do undestand there logic. Seems like a ploy to kill off the desktop market.

My opinion: I hope AMD doesn't follow suit, but my gut tells me they probably will. Trim manufacturing lines, processes, and inventories, give consumers no other option, reap bigger profits.

The article didn't really say what would become of "high end" hardware. I would guess that limited quantities will remain for a while, then slowly fade away as demand falls due to rising prices, and manufacturing them becomes less viable.

It would be my hope that consumers would take a stand against this, but I won't hold my breath. Most have fallen neatly in line in the M$ empire, why wouldn't they with hardware?

I sure hope I''m wrong.

Yeah, seems to go with Intel's pledge for mobile market share.
They want to kill off ARM and move the desktop space in that direction...
Wonder what will happen with enthusiast boards/chips.
Perhaps they will launch an LGA enthusiast socket or ROG mobos with embedded 5770k's xD

This will also kill off the gpu market also, as with the end of desktops come the end of high end stand alone gpu's which I don't think amd will be too happy to push forward with, but amd is on its knees as it is so nothing is certain right now.... Sad times ahead :cry:

This could be a lifeline for amd if they stick with there socket configs, as I know I would rather buy one high end amd board and a bunch of amd CPUs rather than replacing a CPU and board everytime on intel and I'm sure others would also.

This could be a lifeline for amd if they stick with there socket configs, as I know I would rather buy one high end amd board and a bunch of amd CPUs rather than replacing a CPU and board everytime on intel and I'm sure others would also.

I agree. It COULD be a lifeline for AMD. Provided there are enough of us that feel the same way. The question is, are there enough of us that like to tinker around for it to make good business sense?

This will not happen. Intel is at a high rIght now. Why would they completely change what has made them the most money? You will not see this happen.

Wow that would be a huge change. It is hard to imagine Intel and/or AMD completely destroying the normal market for desktops as that would also hurt the thriving motherboard market.

this tells me 1 thing.

Intel doesn't consider AMD competition, and expect that processor to be so far beyond the competition they'll be able to justify it. In short "we're the only game in town, you have to play by our rules"

I hate to say it, but i'm going to rethink my high end "passive" cooled gaming system a bit. I for one don't think buying an intel at this time will be a good move for the future of my hobby. The longer people like myself hold off on buying AMD, the more likely this future "intel" seems to be predicting will come true.

I love OCing and playing with PC hardware. I wonder when OCing drifted away from cheap CPUs OC'ed to high performance, to high PCs oced with big money for silly unnecessary performance.

Seriously. It's unnecessary. I just finished helping a friend build a super cheap APU based system, and frankly, in normal everyday pc operation, I can't tell the difference between it and an i5.

Back to the drawing board for me. I'll reconsider the whole build with AMD at the center of the system. Maybe i'll risk an FX-8350

yeah. i doubt an fx8350 could be passively cooled... and am looking at what would need to be done to bring an a10 up to "good enough" gaming numbers... and getting value for the money.

Probably going to go back to the drawing board, as i'll need $ value and performance value with this build to impress anyone... Before a passive high end system could be expensive just because the performance would be there, and the accomplishment would be impressive. Now i need to adjust the matrix, and make it an impressive gaming build with impressive performance, no moving parts... and on a budget that justifies the slight drop in performance from a typical i5 system.

Back